on 16 November 2010
I am currently undertaking the RHS Horticulture certificate and this book was recommended by our teacher - since buying it, I've found it to be really informative and well written and pitched at the right level for a beginner in botany. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to understand more about the basics of plant growth and reproduction.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 February 2012
I used to be the Head of Horticulture at a College and have bought dozens of copies of this book for library and student use.

It is in my opinion the best book on the market at the moment as an introduction to botany.

Why?

It takes what can be at times a dry subject and makes it fascinating for the reader.

It takes what can be at times a complex subject and makes it easy to understand.

So, in a nutshell, this is an excellent book, which has enough factual detail to make it good for all those studying Gardening or Horticulture to Level 3, is entertaining to read, and which really explains why our plants do the things they do.
on 16 January 2011
I bought this for my brother who is a keen environmentalist focused on developing his horticultural skills. He was very happy with it. It's on the RHS (Royal Horticultural Society) recommended reading list apparently.
on 26 April 2012
I read this book from cover to cover not long after it arrived. I found it interesting, well written and very informative. For someone with no formal botany background it dealt very well with the basics of how plants grow and (admirably) also with basic genetics. Particularly astounding were the photographs of cell division, which made the diagrams themselves more believable (not that I wouldn't have believed them without the photos, but it was just very interesting to see the photographs, if you will, faithfully reproduce the essence of the diagrams). I fully recommended this book to anyone who, like me, is interested in acquiring knowledge of botany and doesn't know where to start. The only very slightly irritating thing was the North American slant, such that plants were rarely (if ever) our own...but that's really a very small quibble. Highly recommended!
on 16 August 2011
Botany for gardeners will either remind you of all you have forgotten from school or if like me you missed out on it provide a very readable but thorough and interesting insight into the world of plants and life in general
on 16 February 2012
While perfection is a word I seldom use, I've still decided to give this book a maximum rating of five stars because in comparison with others of its kind it is far superior. If it's the kind of thing you want, then this book is the best you'll find.
With a budding interest in plants (pardon the pun), one is often caught in the gulf between plant encyclopaedias, gardening books and university textbooks - with little or no general botany books in between. There seems to be nothing out there explaining how plants work, how they do what they do or how they've come to be what they are without first requiring a degree in biology prior to reading. However, this book does it!
I found the title misleading. It seems to suggest it is yet another horticultural gardening book discussing matters of pruning and depths of which to plant bulbs, but actually it's a far more scientific yet approachable book than that.
Capon has managed to write the only book I am as of yet to find that successfully communicates the general basis of botany to anybody who has the desire to care.
on 29 June 2015
I did botany as part of an A-Level Biology course but did not enjoy it because of the dry way it was taught. Although I'm not a gardener, I have retained an interest in wildflowers and bought this book on the strength of the excellent reviews. I found it highly readable and well illustrated and it is helped me see plants much more as living organisms rather than just a collection of parts. My only slight quibble is that most people interested in flowers, wild or cultivated, might expect to find the discussion on plant reproduction more up front - perhaps after the parts on root, stem and leaf anatomy and function. But it's easy enough to skip to that part of the book if you can't wait to get there! All-in-all, thoroughly recommended.
on 25 November 2011
Bought this book after borrowing it from the college library. For students of the RHS courses it's an essential read, giving clarity and greater understanding of the the botany subjects covered in language that's very user-friendly, particularly for the less experienced and those whose school days were a long time ago.
on 18 September 2013
This is an excellent book that relates the science of botany to the day to day world of gardening. It is well structured, with descriptions and explanations that are well supported by diagrams and photographs etc . Brian Capon is an accomplished university lecturer whose communication skills are apparent. For those not familiar with any botany terms there is a glossary at the back.When you have read this book your understanding of the plant as a complex organism will be more cohesive. But Brian Capon also leaves you in no doubt that there is much to learn about plants and is himself still mystified by the 'life force' within each plant.
on 3 May 2014
I've recently wanted to get into Botany and this book has been the perfect introduction. It is simple to read and has really useful diagrams and images. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to get into Botany.