on 12 May 2013
This is a very useful reference book for sock knitters who wish to know a bit more about the theory behind sock construction, and I can highly recommend it. The spiral binding and clear photographs also make it easy to use.

The authors describe and give instructions for a wide range of cast-ons, bind-offs, toe and heel styles, and cover top-down and bottom-up construction for all of these. They also give information about which method to use when, and how to make changes to gauge, yarn weight, repeats, spacings, which are very useful if you want to adapt patterns or write your own. There are sections on how to avoid common faults, how to repair socks, and how to accommodate different patterns of wear, as well as descriptions and illustrations of a range of different stitch patterns.

In all, it seems to me it covers almost everything you could want to know about sock knitting to take you from beginner following a pattern blindly to having the expertise to design your own sock patterns, and remedy your problems with existing patterns.

However, and this is not really a criticism, just advice to a potential purchaser, I do not think this is the best book for the complete beginner. For that I recommend Getting Started Knitting Socks , which is what started me off - the best book ever for beginners, and leaves nothing to your imagination. Once you have mastered the basic sock pattern and understand how to knit socks, then I highly recommend this book by Charlene Schurch - it really will take you to another level and enable you to master the subtleties of sock knitting. The subtitle 'Expert Advice, Tips and Tricks' says it all - it's just like having your grandma sitting next to you, giving you the benefit of her years of sock knitting experience!
on 27 March 2013
Those who have own her previous book may see this abit of a disappoitment. Dont Just Yet!! Oh no no no. As you read on you notice many have been included further on from the two wonderful books/bible socks for us beginners. Almost like opoening up another new drawer in sock knitting. Plus one would feel that its nice that the handbook is now avaiable in this format. Information inside is still as useful as ever. A must have for the collection.
on 4 October 2014
Nice book but because there are so many sizes in the patterns and the print is a small I found it impossible to follow the patterns easily.
on 21 August 2017
has clear instructions on various socks have yet to use it but looks informative and easy to read.
on 11 March 2014
I love knitting socks but only stick to one pattern. Whenever I have tried others I seem doomed to failure. I needed help and decided that The Sock Knitters Handbook would be a good investment! I was correct, every question answered and all sorts of interesting projects for the future. The book is full of advice and tips and suggestions....can't wait to work my way through it. I would recommend this book to any keen sock knitter.
on 22 June 2014
I do knit socks so it is a brilliant guide for beginners and advanced alike. It is a very apt guide and very good.
on 2 November 2013
Having bought the Sock Masterclass and been really disappointed to find predominately only one size offered I bought this book in the hope it would guide me how to still use one size patterns and adapt then to my feet. Has it worked? Yes, the information is certainly there, I just need to think how to apply it. A good book for someone like me who is new to sock knitting and is on a mission to get really competent.
on 29 March 2014
This book disappointed me, did not cover some of the more basic things which cause problems. However it is nicely illustrated .
on 5 August 2014
not as useful as I thought but interesting
on 11 December 2014
It was great to see all the sizes but when I tried the strong heel the numbers did not add up. After googling it I realised how badly wrong it was suggesting 60 stitches per needle rather than 30. Not helpful at all