on 8 March 2017
All monsters knit on 'magic loop' or double ended needles, not apparent before purchase.
on 16 June 2011
I have liked Rebecca Danger's patterns for a while and looked forward to getting this book. The book itself has some great photos and is very nice to just flick through. It's wonderful how the monsters are all named and given cute personalities, a really lovely touch that my kids liked.

Within a week the first two monsters jumped off my needles, partly because it's hard to resist the cute and colourful critters, but mostly because my kids moaned a lot until I was finished!

If you are comfortable knitting in the round then you should find all the patterns fairly easy and there's enough variety in the arms, legs and bodies that you can switch them around if you need to. One thing I found incredibly useful was the many how-to photos, especially the ones showing how to pick up stitches, work in the round, etc. After making monsters, I realised I had essentially knitted socks for the legs without even realising it, so this book would also be useful for any budding sock knitters.
on 19 June 2011
I received this book as a Random Act of Kindness from a fellow knitter- what a lovely surprise!
The patterns are very well written and the finished toys are beautiful. Not for beginners as it involves some more advanced techniques like knitting in the round on double pointed needles and magic loop, however the book has fairly detailed instructions for these techniques, plus there's always Youtube.
on 22 July 2013
This is a real gem of a book containing 20 patterns for knit monsters. Approximate yarn quantities are given so even if you don't have the yarns specified in the book (likely as they are US yarns) it is easy to substitute in yarns you have in your stash.

I got this book for my birthday and started knitting my 1st monster a week ago. I'm on my 3rd one already. They are quite addictive and the smaller monsters like Irving and Charlie could probably be knit up in a day if you put your mind to it.

The patterns are very straightforward and easy to follow but if you are a beginner you will probably need an additonal knitting reference source as some techniques required aren't covered in the book (e.g. Kitchener stitch, 3 needle bind off). Nothing beyond an enthusiastic amateur though. The patterns tend to specify the magic loop technique (which is explained) for the bodies of the monsters but I am using double pointed needles with good results as that's my preference for working in the round.

Some intuition is required for assembly as only minimal instructions are provided but by using the photographs you can tell which parts of the monsters need stuffing and where limbs should be left unstuffed.

This is one of my favourite knitting books so far and I'm going to get a lot of use out of it. I'm adding more books by this author to my wishlist.
review image review image
on 23 December 2011
I wish I had known the methods of knitting these monsters before I bought the book.It took me a long time to learn the "loop method" also I found that knitting the long legs on four needles was quite tiring.The author says they can be knitted on two needles,but gives no instructions for this.I liked the finished product but chose to stitch the mouth on rather than gluing it.I also gave him a smiling mouth by stretching the felt as I stitched it.I wish I could send you a picture but Harold has been sent as a Christmas gift to a six year old boy.Will I make more monsters- you bet I will!
on 16 August 2011
This book is great ! I have started on 2 monsters and they are coming along nicely, easy to knit and looking great.
The only thing I was struggling with in the beginning is to guess the finished size of the monsters. Some of them are really huge.
on 8 May 2013
I bought this book to knit a Monster for my Grandson who was traumatised by a car accident. He chose the monster and the colours and is waiting for it to be finished, which it will be in a day or so. I love the designs but I loathe knitting in the round. I have been knitting for well over thirty years and I was daunted by how to do the Magic Loop. I took this one stage at a time and it is really easy and very satisfying to start something so new to me. I am so pleased that I persevered and that I can now knit in the round easily without four needles. My daughter has chosen a Monster and I will be doing one for a friends baby.
All in all a good buy. A new skill and hopefully a happier child. Thanks for this bright and fun book.
on 27 December 2015
Odd one here......I ordered this book, for my son, who wanted to buy it for his sister (my daughter) for a Christmas present, so neither myself or my son are able to review this. However.......my daughter, upon opening it Christmas morning, said it was fab and she would be soon knitting some of the monsters in the book. So, whilst not really a helpful review (sorry) my knitting mad daughter apparently loves it!
on 14 September 2014
Really happy with this book. It's American so I had to look up what one of the abbreviations meant but that was easy to do. I've knitted two monsters so far and added a knitted rucksack to the biggest one. My son decides what colours he wants and has been really happy with the finished product. Great book
on 8 January 2012
I love Rebecca's monsters, so cute, lovely and easy to make! I received the book 3 days ago and I am already knitting my second monster! Can't wait to knit one for myself, the most mischievous monster we will have at home!
Highly recommended, extremely funny knitting projects!