on 18 September 2012
I have a number of survival, preparedness books and guides. It can become a hobby in itself. I have never been in a situation that these publications describe and prepare you for, I live in a fairly benign part of the world. However having travelled extensively in North America from Fairbanks Alaska down to Phoenix Arizona I can understand why it may be necessary to prepare for extreme situations if you lived there. This book covers all of the things you need to consider during conditions when there may be no external help or utilities for some time during or after an event. Books such as these cannot be totally definitive as families are very different as are their needs and locality; however they should plant the seed of thinking about your own situation and how you would cope. If you are a backwoodsman who regularly "bugs out" with a 12 gauge and 1000 rounds of ammo, boy will you be disappointed with this book, however if you are a family starting out on preparing for emergencies then this book will probably satisfy all your needs in one. Unless of course you start to collect them like me.
on 17 December 2010
This book is a very interesting read that allows the reader to prepare for, at least on the most part, any eventuality. The methods in it are practical and easy to follow - they really illustrate how unprepared I am! With this book I can keep a little more peace of mind when the weather leaves us with harsher conditions.
on 25 May 2011
Amongst much dross, this book stands out for its practical and implementable approach. If to buy just one book on the topic, suggest strongly that this be it. One of other reviews suggests a bit "mumsy" and US-centric and in part that is true: however neither aspects detracts from its value and 'most all of what it says may be applied with ease in UK. Recipes seem well thought out, though I have not tried them and they have a US style to them, both as to variety of ingredients and the choice of ingredients: still, nothing here that a halfway competent person can not deal with.
on 15 February 2014
This book has been written for the American reader and there is a fair amount of information that isn't relevant to us in the UK. The advice about stockpiling food and water is really just common sense but Kathy Harrison's check lists are useful. What I did find irritating was her dismissal of teenagers as being useless at anything but computer games and her unsolicited advice on not watching "junk TV" or having "junk relationships", what has that got do to with "prepping"? I am writing this in Feb 2014 when much of the country is flooded so being prepared for the worst does seem like a good idea. My home has been without power for a day here and there and my land line is now down after a storm. I will try to make sure that my car always has some fuel, that I know where I keep my candles and that I have enough food for my family for at least a few days. I also like the idea of keeping a backpack ready for everyone in the family with any essentials so that we can leave at a moments notice. As someone who often has an almost-empty store cupboard, this book has made me realise that I must do a little better in the preparedness stakes.
on 1 February 2011
The book was much better than I expected it to be...after reading a sample version I did buy it and was not disappointed. the book does describe and list examples of list to a useful level of detail, while other books remain fairly generic. I would recommend it to anyone that is interested in how to store different food types, why to store them and what to do with them...the section of how to create a general folder for all kinds of emergencies and crisis and what's important, again very useful and interesting. Well worth the few pounds...
on 15 December 2010
A reasonable book for the money. Though it contains some useful tips, it is very much a US centric publication which has lesser relevance for a UK audience. Mumsy survivalism !
on 3 March 2013
Rather unlikely we need to prepare for a tornado or earthquake in England hopefully. Some of the advice seems area specific, but many useful tips for all areas included.
on 14 November 2014
Informative, but reading is not as good as being able to use the information in practice.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 January 2015
Recipient was very happy
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 May 2010
Always a good idea to have a book like this around for when something goes wrong! Got it for one of my kids.