on 29 November 2011
I dispute the part of the title that says " ~ How-to Guide for the Beginner".

I'm most definitely a beginner, but have had a lifetime of working with complex electronics, so I consider myself to be a beginner with potential.

I read the book from cover to cover and apart from an improvement in my memory's terminology "database" I wasn't much wiser.

First off, there's a serious problem with the book's layout with text referring to diagrams elsewhere in the book. Had the appropriate diagram been associated with the relevant text, it might have led to the same diagram appearing more than once in the book or alternatively, it could have been better to have included all diagrams in an appendix rather than have, say, text on page 9 referring to the diagram on page 83 and so on.

The book was purchased because I had a vintage Westminster Chime clock for which I couldn't figure out how to hang the pendulum, but had concluded that there must be a missing part. I was no wiser after reading the book but a dig on the internet confirmed my suspicions, with the missing part being called the pendulum suspension spring.

I realise that a slim book can't cover every type of clock in detail, so perhaps I expected too much in hoping to learn how to hang a pendulum, but that seems a pretty basic thing that would be generic to many or most pendulum-operating mechanisms. That's why I object to the book's title and consider it should have been " ~ an Illustrated Introduction for the Beginner."

DaveL
I have several traditional clocks and not knowing much about them, decided to send away for this particular book.
It is a very basic introduction to clock repair. It is not intended as a comprehensive guide to repairing a clock but a nice introduction and explanation of how clocks work. You can get a basic grounding as to how to embark on a satisfying hobby of repairing clocks. Other more comprehensive books will be required in addition to this book.
on 12 April 2017
Maybe too technical for me but I think I will join a clock repairing club for somne practical help
on 10 June 2017
good item
on 21 July 2017
Bought as a present for an enthusiast.
on 22 March 2010
A fairly basic introduction aimed directly at the American market with a limited range of topics relevant only to simple clock mechanisms.
on 28 May 2017
brilliant
on 6 May 2017
Unless you have a good understanding of mechanics you will struggle with this. A decent guide to clock repairs regardless
on 3 December 2007
This is not a book for complete beginners. The descriptions and explanations of some of the more complex escapements and the striking mechanisms are difficult to follow. This is exacerbated by the diagrams being on different pages to the descriptions. Many of the illustrations appear to be reproductions of engravings taken from very old catalogues. There are used to add bulk to this already thin volume.

There are useful sections on how to deal with the more common problems on some of the more common clocks. This saves the book to a certain extent.
on 22 September 2013
Although extremly interesting the content was very congusing to say the least.It attempeted to cover o multitude of makes and movements resulting in skirting each in brief sections with sparse coverage of each and totally devoid of a trouble shooting section in general , never mind a common fault and cause index.

One would need a good prior understanding of mechanical clock works in all to reap the full value from the book.
I shall keep it, mainly on the shelf as a parrtial reference in conjunction with more effective books on the matter.
Not quite a chocolate teapot , but close.