on 21 March 2011
I brought this book thinking that it would have some good advice on vegetarian diet along with yoga practice as I practice a 90 minute hot yoga class that burns off 950 calories everyday and struggle to consume enough calories and protein to sustain this and the other forms of exercise I do in one day without resorting to meat.

Unfortunately far from beig a helpful guide to good vegetarian diet it turned out to be a rather preachy book on why eating meat is bad, which in itself is not a bad thing - but it unfortunately resorted to over-dramatic language and shock tactics and I felt as if the writer was trying to guilt trip me into being a vegetarian rather putting the idealogy across in the form of rational arguement. As a result I felt as if I was being patronised and preached at and would not recommend this book - especially if you are looking for practical advice on vegetarianism or yoga as this book contains none.
on 15 January 2017
I expected to read a balanced yet persuasive viewpoint that highlighted the marriage between being a Yogi and Vegetarianism. Instead what I was given, was an extreme opinion that not only stigmatized, but damn right vilified omnivores in sweeping generalization.

Clearly, the author carries a passionate point of view in regard to animal welfare. However, this does not excuse the overuse of shock-tactics, and an almost aggressive doctrine that dealt with absolutes. There was an air of chastising the reader with a one-size fits all set of beliefs.

The author’s judgemental rhetoric, in my opinion, does a disservice to Yogis, on both divides. Wouldn’t a true Yogi evade the process of pointing fingers? Wouldn’t a Yogi seek to transcend any divide? If not, are you not imprisoning your own spiritual growth by condemning others?

There are vegetarians, who are the greatest of sinners and omnivores that are saints. Are you to tell me that some of most spiritual people such as The Native Americans who were one with their environment (and worship the animal spirits) will always fail to be as self-aware as someone who chooses to simply not eat meat?

I admire and respect a person choice to refrain from eating meat. It is such an admirable and disciplined way of life. Though I believe, spirituality is not one thing, but a series of choices that are highlighted through the commitment of awareness, to live within the moment.

I personally do not prescribe to the notion that any one species owns this planet. It is loaned to all in a bipartisan agreement that binds us with a higher force. We are all meant to work harmoniously with the beauty that nature provides.

Yet, it shouldn’t be overlooked that (in my humble opinion) there is a circle of consciousness that is interdependent. Whilst we take to give and sacrifice to (hopefully) evolve. With the ultimate being, once the physical body dies (if tradition didn’t interject) it is buried to provide compost and nutrition for insects and plants. The circle begins once again.

In closing, HIS HOLINESS THE DALAI LAMA, who is quoted in a foreword and also by the author herself, is, in fact, an omnivore.
on 16 April 2010
This book gave me insight in research I haven`t even heard about - a serious topic written in a mostly joyful style - easy to digest and leaves you energized- precisely as vegetarian food does . No fanatism, which is the best about the whole book. Enjoy !
Best regards from Christina Danielsen, Oslo , Norway
on 8 April 2016
This wonderful book changed my life! Shannon Gannon writes beautifully, positively and conscientiously. I'd recommend everyone to read it with the aim of living a more compassionate life.
on 24 April 2015
eye opener
on 31 March 2009
I read this and changed from being a vegetarian to being a vegan overnight. The message is very powerful. We are not on this planet in isolation and if you are practising yoga in order to free your spirit, how can you do it at the expense of other beings. Sharon Gannon writes in a very no-nonsense way, she is obviously passionate about what she is saying and is able to draw on many texts to support her vision. I found this very inspiring.
on 15 June 2015