VINE VOICEon 10 February 2004
Ravi Shankars book "My music My life" from 1969 is a great introduction to Indian music and how it is to grow up in India as a music student.
In chapter one "My Heritage" Shankar explains the basic principles of Indian music, the difference between North and South Indian music and the most common musical instruments.Chapter two "My Masters" is about his teachers and chapter three "Myself" is Shankars autobiography. Chapter four is a manual for learning the sitar.
I found this book very enjoyable and a great introduction to one of the best music this planet has to offer and Shankar is one of the greatest musicians of this century. The chapter about his life in India as a music student were very interesting to me because it is so different from being a music student in Iceland.
See also his book published in 1999 the brilliant Raga Mala: The Autobiography of Ravi Shankar.
For those interested I would also recomend the video "Raga" which is a documentary about Shankar (done I think in the late 60's) and of course all his fabulous C.D's.