on 28 July 2015
These recipes are all calorie-counted and low in fat but they are also really tasty so this book is a winner. You don't need to be trying to lose weight to enjoy them. They are fairly uncomplicated to make and the time to make them is marked on each recipe. There are good bowl and sandwich wrap ideas at the back. I liked the extra indexes too - there are different lists of all the recipes which are: gluten free; soya free; can be made in under 30 minutes; have down time where you can relax and leave your food bubbling away or doing its thing.

Here are some of the recipes I've tried.. I didn't give all of them a star rating, but started to do it halfway though. Where I did, it's marked down.

Favourite salads: Sushi edamame pg 20, goddess nicoise pg 25 and warm mushrooms pg 35
Wild rice with oranges and beetroot pg 39 - loved, loved loved it. 5 stars
Trattoria pasta salad with white beans pg 49 - very nice. 4.5 stars

Favourite sides: chick pea gravy pg 56, caulipots pg 55, onion rings pg 59, cranberry cashew biryani pg 67, bhutanese pineapple rice pg 72, scarlet barley (i used spelt) pg 69, butternut coconut rice pg 81
Unfrited fried rice pg 70 - brilliant. 5 stars

Arabian lentil/rice pg 206 - yummy, keeper. 4.5 stars
Lotsa veggies lentil soup pg 198 - not bad. 4 stars
10 people found this helpful
on 20 March 2017
I'm a big Moskowitz fan, but I think if I had bought this book first, I probably wouldn't have been interested in vegan food afterwards. Recommend buying 'ISA DOES IT' as a first vegan cookbook, which is a fabulous introduction.
5 people found this helpful
on 21 June 2018
Very disappointed with this book. Almost every recipe has oil or some sort of fat listed in the ingredients. The book even has a 'Big Fat Fat Glossary' which is separated into The Bad Guys and The Good Guys, the latter listing 'heart-healthy fats' of all things! This information is so out-dated and misleading and I would have hoped that someone who was intelligent enough to promote a plant-based diet would also be more informed about the dangers of fat. Obviously, we do need some fat in our diets, but this can easily be obtained from vegetables, nuts and seeds instead of adding some totally unnatural product such as processed oils or fats into the food we eat. Having looked around at other publications by the same author, I am not surprised to see that in her photos she appears somewhat plump, which is fine if that's what she wants to be, but maybe she should leave publishing books with recipes for people who want to lose weight to the experts, such as McDougall, Esselstyn, Novick, etc. who all appear unsurprisingly both fit and lean.
on 14 May 2012
I have found this book indispensable in helping me on my vegan journey. I have a lot of weight to lose, and I had no idea how to combine these two dietary challenges. This book is full of healthy but interesting food, and the recipes I have tried instantly became favourites. I have not had any trouble sourcing the ingredients in my local supermarket and I live in a very rural area - our supermarket is probably a corner shop compared to most! I also did not have any problems with the translation, but then again I do spend far too much time reading American cookery bogs looking for inspiration. Based on this book, I immediately bought 'Veganomicon' which is co-authored by Moskowitz and I have not been disappointed. My favourite egan cookery book so far.
6 people found this helpful
on 29 January 2014
Have been a veggie for years and decided to give the vegan diet a go but discovered that sooooo much stuff has a wee bit of egg or milk in so a friend recommended this cook book.

I am now hooked on some of the recipes, but as with many things this is written for people who have access to American supermarkets, it is incredibly difficult to get hold of certain things like Salsa Verde (made with tomatillos), decent sized corn tortillas and a couple of other bits. I have substituted or left certain ingredients out and the taste has still been pretty good but it does make you wonder how much better it would be if you could get hold of all the ingredients,
2 people found this helpful
on 21 May 2014
I am not a vegan, I am a part-time vegetarian because various members of my family are veggie. A friend mentioned that she lost weight when catering for vegan house guests. This book is full of tasty filling Vegan meals. I didn't need to get loads of different ingredients and the optional ones were all available in supermarkets.
The American terms are surmountable, but a glossary would be nice . I bought it on Kindle to enable me to carry it around with me, but that was a BIG mistake, to be useful on e books the publishers need to have a contents page For those reasons it loses a star, but I am going to buy the paper back, because, it certainly does give you more for your calories
One person found this helpful
on 22 June 2018
Unfortunately, my husband and I have not found a recipe that we like in this book. It's a great premise, as veggie food is all too often carby and we really wanted to love it! The flavour combinations are not harmonious and fundamentally lack fresh tastes and do not seem to use the vegetables but just taste mucky...
on 21 September 2014
This is so good I have the kindle and paperback versions so I always have access to ingredients lists. The food is genuinely amazing, I mix it up a little with Veganomicon (adapting them slightly for calorie watching, and I am gluten free too but it's v easy to swap in and out). The recipes are just yum, and would easily persuade any meat eater than vegan is not just an alternative but better - it's that good. My only slight gripe is the calorie calculation, where sometimes it's based on no quarter or an eighth of what you've made - it's very hard to leave what's left for tomorrow!
3 people found this helpful
on 31 July 2016
Absolutely love this ... easy to follow recipes .. not too complicated and they taste delicious .. very happy to recommend. .
3 people found this helpful
on 21 December 2014
This is great because it's for everyday use: cheap (once you have a properly stocked pantry), absolutely delicious and fast. As with all cookbooks, it takes a bit of time to read the recipes thoroughly the first time you make them, but soon they become second nature and are memorised.

The salad dressings are the best I've ever made - every bit as good as less nutritious and more calorie-laden versions. Great as dips, spreads and of course sauces on salads and stir fries. They are the sort of dressing that make you look forward to and get excited about salad.

I've given this to three people as a gift (all non-vegans) and they all love it. Because everybody can use something that has the nutritional and practical credentials for everyday life, but tastes like a special treat.

The only downsides:

1) I like nice pictures in my cookbooks. And I like them on the same page as the recipe. The pictures in this book, all inserted together in the centre of the book, don't really do it for me. But this is minor.

2) Some people may find that, taken as a whole, the book calls for too many individual ingredients. As someone who loves cooking and has been vegan a while, I have loads of spices and, yes, mirin and nutritional yeast flakes. That said, a quick internet search can help you find a suitable substitutions for individual ingredients if expanding your larder all at once is too expensive.