on 28 July 2015
These recipes are all calorie-counted and low in fat but they are also really tasty so this book is a winner. You don't need to be trying to lose weight to enjoy them. They are fairly uncomplicated to make and the time to make them is marked on each recipe. There are good bowl and sandwich wrap ideas at the back. I liked the extra indexes too - there are different lists of all the recipes which are: gluten free; soya free; can be made in under 30 minutes; have down time where you can relax and leave your food bubbling away or doing its thing.

Here are some of the recipes I've tried.. I didn't give all of them a star rating, but started to do it halfway though. Where I did, it's marked down.

Favourite salads: Sushi edamame pg 20, goddess nicoise pg 25 and warm mushrooms pg 35
Wild rice with oranges and beetroot pg 39 - loved, loved loved it. 5 stars
Trattoria pasta salad with white beans pg 49 - very nice. 4.5 stars

Favourite sides: chick pea gravy pg 56, caulipots pg 55, onion rings pg 59, cranberry cashew biryani pg 67, bhutanese pineapple rice pg 72, scarlet barley (i used spelt) pg 69, butternut coconut rice pg 81
Unfrited fried rice pg 70 - brilliant. 5 stars

Soup
Arabian lentil/rice pg 206 - yummy, keeper. 4.5 stars
Lotsa veggies lentil soup pg 198 - not bad. 4 stars
on 12 June 2017
A really in-depth look at vegan alternatives with loads of recipes, although some to complex for me to bother with others will become regular favourites.
on 25 August 2016
Delighted with this cookbook. Would recommend.
on 10 April 2017
this is a book that people who love to cook will love, failed to find many fast recipes in this, just too much like hard work
on 24 May 2017
great info
on 13 February 2015
Fine
on 27 July 2011
I've already got a couple of Isa's books - and while the recipes are good,the layout and cross referencing drives me nuts. However the layout on this one is clean, and the cross referencing is minimal. The Hummus recipe is one of the best i've ever tasted (how can anyone get hummus wrong I hear people cry - well I have!), and the red wine and kalamata tempeh (I made it with seitan) is delish. Having the calorie count per serving really helps too. Only point to note is that this is an American cookbook, and needs some translation for UK users - so a tablespoon is a uk dessert spoon, arugula is rocket leaves, cilantro is coriander, shortening is cookeen or trex and canola oil is rapeseed oil. The cookipedia web site is a useful reference for translating.
0Comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 July 2015
I.m a vegetarian and I like modern vegan food for a change as my meals can get a bit dependent on pasta and cheese. I like Isa's recipes and her style of writing. If you are unsure about the book check out her website - post punk kitchen - and I'm sure you will be won round. I also have her cup cake book which has great recipes that you wouldn't guess were vegan. Handy when you have no eggs.
on 20 March 2017
I'm a big Moskowitz fan, but I think if I had bought this book first, I probably wouldn't have been interested in vegan food afterwards. Recommend buying 'ISA DOES IT' as a first vegan cookbook, which is a fabulous introduction.
VINE VOICEon 20 March 2011
It is so refreshing to find a vegan cookery book that uses 'normal' ingredients and gives sensible honest advice. I love this book. I am a fairly new vegetarian and want to go a step further and become vegan. The money I have wasted on so called 'vegan cookery books' doesn't bear thinking about and none of them have inspired me to take the next step. Isa's book is wonderfully refreshing. There are of course American names for some of the ingredients but once you've sussed that cilantro is corriander, escarole is endive, sriracha is hot chilli sauce and kasha is buckwheat then you've basically cracked it. The recipes are dilicious and are guided as Gluten-free, Soy-free and under 30 minutes which helps when you want something quick and easy to make. You don't even notice that the recipes are all low fat because they are really tasty.
I can thoroughly recommend this book.
11 Comment| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse