Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Fire Tablet Shop Kindle Blind Boys of Alabama Shop now Fitbit

Showing 1-10 of 111 reviews(5 star). See all 149 reviews
on 28 July 2015
These recipes are all calorie-counted and low in fat but they are also really tasty so this book is a winner. You don't need to be trying to lose weight to enjoy them. They are fairly uncomplicated to make and the time to make them is marked on each recipe. There are good bowl and sandwich wrap ideas at the back. I liked the extra indexes too - there are different lists of all the recipes which are: gluten free; soya free; can be made in under 30 minutes; have down time where you can relax and leave your food bubbling away or doing its thing.

Here are some of the recipes I've tried.. I didn't give all of them a star rating, but started to do it halfway though. Where I did, it's marked down.

Favourite salads: Sushi edamame pg 20, goddess nicoise pg 25 and warm mushrooms pg 35
Wild rice with oranges and beetroot pg 39 - loved, loved loved it. 5 stars
Trattoria pasta salad with white beans pg 49 - very nice. 4.5 stars

Favourite sides: chick pea gravy pg 56, caulipots pg 55, onion rings pg 59, cranberry cashew biryani pg 67, bhutanese pineapple rice pg 72, scarlet barley (i used spelt) pg 69, butternut coconut rice pg 81
Unfrited fried rice pg 70 - brilliant. 5 stars

Soup
Arabian lentil/rice pg 206 - yummy, keeper. 4.5 stars
Lotsa veggies lentil soup pg 198 - not bad. 4 stars
on 22 December 2013
This book gives some amazing recipes - I have to say I was a bit sceptical reading some of them but I gave them a go and they were amazing - tasty and filling. I can't be doing with half a lettuce leaf food - these were big healthy calorie counted delicious meals. An American book so I had to google a couple of things but all in all highly recommended.
on 14 May 2012
I have found this book indispensable in helping me on my vegan journey. I have a lot of weight to lose, and I had no idea how to combine these two dietary challenges. This book is full of healthy but interesting food, and the recipes I have tried instantly became favourites. I have not had any trouble sourcing the ingredients in my local supermarket and I live in a very rural area - our supermarket is probably a corner shop compared to most! I also did not have any problems with the translation, but then again I do spend far too much time reading American cookery bogs looking for inspiration. Based on this book, I immediately bought 'Veganomicon' which is co-authored by Moskowitz and I have not been disappointed. My favourite egan cookery book so far.
on 31 July 2016
Absolutely love this ... easy to follow recipes .. not too complicated and they taste delicious .. very happy to recommend. .
on 25 August 2016
Delighted with this cookbook. Would recommend.
on 28 December 2012
I had never heard of Isa before, and I ask myself why ? This is the best recipe book I have ever had, bar none. My wife had to go on a strict diet due to ill health and this book has helped her beyond our wildest dreams. I have enjoyed the fantastic food myself, and the recipes are uncomplicated, use few ingredients and put together some combinations I wouldn't have dreamt of, but they all work together beautifully. It has been so good that our dietician has gone and bought herself a copy as I couldn't stop talking about it, and she couldn't believe the results it was and is giving my wife. The breakdown of each recipe is fantatsic so you know how many calaroies each serving has, plus fat, sugar, proteins etc.

This is a brilliant book which will never be beaten in my eyes.
It is so refreshing to find a vegan cookery book that uses 'normal' ingredients and gives sensible honest advice. I love this book. I am a fairly new vegetarian and want to go a step further and become vegan. The money I have wasted on so called 'vegan cookery books' doesn't bear thinking about and none of them have inspired me to take the next step. Isa's book is wonderfully refreshing. There are of course American names for some of the ingredients but once you've sussed that cilantro is corriander, escarole is endive, sriracha is hot chilli sauce and kasha is buckwheat then you've basically cracked it. The recipes are dilicious and are guided as Gluten-free, Soy-free and under 30 minutes which helps when you want something quick and easy to make. You don't even notice that the recipes are all low fat because they are really tasty.
I can thoroughly recommend this book.
11 Comment| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 July 2011
I've already got a couple of Isa's books - and while the recipes are good,the layout and cross referencing drives me nuts. However the layout on this one is clean, and the cross referencing is minimal. The Hummus recipe is one of the best i've ever tasted (how can anyone get hummus wrong I hear people cry - well I have!), and the red wine and kalamata tempeh (I made it with seitan) is delish. Having the calorie count per serving really helps too. Only point to note is that this is an American cookbook, and needs some translation for UK users - so a tablespoon is a uk dessert spoon, arugula is rocket leaves, cilantro is coriander, shortening is cookeen or trex and canola oil is rapeseed oil. The cookipedia web site is a useful reference for translating.
0Comment| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2013
When I am just a shadow of my former self and everyone's whispering "if anything, she's got TOO skinny", this book will be the reason why. I'm not even vegan, I just figured that maybe eating less animal might be a semi-decent way to lose some weight without trying too hard, and lo and behold - I was right! The recipes here are scrumptious, and that's not even an exaggeration. I'm yet to make a duff one, and I must have cooked half the book by now. Hottie Beans & Greens and Mango BBQ Beans are both amazing and now weeknight staples in my house, with big steamy spoonfuls dumped over baked sweet potato. Black-bean, Zucchini & Olive Tacos are as good as everyone else who's reviewed the book tells you they will be (and that's far better than I was expecting - delicious, basically). I also really loved the Carribean Curried Black-Eyed Peas with Plantain (def worth making the extra effort to find the plantain - it makes it), as well as the Canellini & Mushroom Paprikas, Miso Udon Stir-fry, Upside Down Lentil Shepherds Pie, Eggplant Provencal, Kidney Bean and Butternut Jamba Stew, Aubergine Chilli Bean Mole - there's so many great dinners in here and they're all quick, cheap and really good for you. Many of the recipes even possess that most magical property of tasting even better reheated next day than they did fresh, and that's about the highest praise I can give out. Yes, more pictures would be nice, yes, there are many Americanisms, but to get hung up on these tiny details would be to miss out on one of the best cookbooks I own.
on 21 July 2015
I.m a vegetarian and I like modern vegan food for a change as my meals can get a bit dependent on pasta and cheese. I like Isa's recipes and her style of writing. If you are unsure about the book check out her website - post punk kitchen - and I'm sure you will be won round. I also have her cup cake book which has great recipes that you wouldn't guess were vegan. Handy when you have no eggs.