Customer reviews

on 22 October 2008
It never occurred to me to look for a zombie story in something other than novel form; this book was on display by a register when I purchasing some other books. I figured since The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead(guide form, obviously) and Day by Day Armageddon (A Zombie Novel)(journal form) worked for me, I would give zombie haikus a chance.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the haikus formed an actual story, instead of just being random haikus. Another bonus was the size of the book makes it easy to carry with me in my purse (gotta have zombie literature on me at all times).

(I haven't seen anything this original since my husband's monster truck haikus.) I was very impressed with the author's creativity. I look forward to more from this author.
on 7 April 2009
The idea of writing a zombie novel in the Haiku style (three line poems) is one thing - but writing it from the point of view of the zombie is pure genius.
I cannot recommend this book enough - it's gory, funny and true to the zombie law as laid down by Mr Romero.
Check it out!
on 11 September 2009
This book is an absolutely fantastic idea. It's always nice to see a new spin on the zombie story, and this is clearly the most original idea I've seen in the genre.

The book consists of a short introduction and a collection of haiku poems. They're all 3 lines long - the 1st and 3rd have 5 syllables and the 2nd line has 7 syllables. They're all written from the point of view of a zombie as he searches for brains to eat, and each details some aspect of the zombie's activities. If you can get past the idea of a zombie retaining the ability and will to write poetry then it makes a great read. There is an underlying story, it's not just a random collection of haikus, and they're really quick funny.

This isn't a particularly long book, but it's entertaining and it's one that you could come back to and flick through every so often. It would also make a great present for anyone interested in horror, or for that person who has everything.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 May 2010
Gave as a birthday present and it was greatly received! Thought it was original, funny and compeling!
on 7 November 2008
I am a fan of most things zombie, and also like haiku, but for me this just didn't work. It has some good moments but ultimately the little nagging voice in my head kept on asking 'why is a zombie recording it's day to day activities?' or thinking, 'wow, that zombie retained a fairly good grasp of English'. It just required too much of a stretch of the imagination to believe that a zombie wrote of it's maruadings in a journal so that they could be recovered by one of it's would-be victims. That said it's all in good zombie fun and has some truly funny moments, as well as some pretty good snapshots of zombie life. It's a good stab at breaking new ground in the zombie tradition (or should that be a headshot?...)
on 19 October 2016
Funny, gruesome, heartfelt. The perfect tonic to all the dark crime novels about mad women on trains, missing women who murder and such.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse