on 21 December 2009
I really like these Lark Ceramics books because they're packed full of great photos of really unusual pieces that get me thinking about stuff I could make. Also, they skip pretentious arty talk. They just show the piece, sometimes picking out a detail in second photo, and then give the artist's name, size, details of the materials and techniques used. That's it. No B.S. Great to flip through looking when you're looking for inspiration.
on 6 August 2013
The 500 series is a visual delight. A lovely book to peruse or just pick up and idly flick through. It contains many thought-provoking images of contemporary ceramics. The text is minimal and therefore does not give full accounts of the artists' thinking and work practice. However, many of the sculptures speak for themselves.
on 13 February 2010
This book was bought as a gift for someone who is doing a degree course at university, she said

that it was perfect for her needs. I looked through it before I gave it and was very impressed

with the quality of the pictures and the lay out, really beautiful.
on 7 February 2012
You certainly get a lot of book for the money, unfortunately I found it rather disappointing. As an amateur potter I was hoping for ideas and inspiration but apart from the sculpture on the cover I didn't really find much.

Most of the contributors are American and I get the impression that a random collection of ideas and objects constitutes 'sculpture'. I can appreciate how much effort and skill went in to making many of the objects, but the word 'why?' kept coming to mind.

I prefer sculpture to be aesthetically pleasing or have something to say. I have seen quite a lot of ceramic sculptures that I liked [elsewhere], but this book seems like a lot of fish from a small pond. The idea behind the book is great but I would have liked to have seen a much wider spectrum.

Obviously this is only a personal opinion and others have enjoyed the book so I may be the odd one out!
on 19 August 2013
Very disappointing.
I was looking for inspiration as I am an amateur potter.
I think I found bout 5 pieces of the 500 that I liked!
on 14 January 2011
a very impressive book for all who estimate form and colour in ceramic sculpture. I can recommend it really! especially whe you do ceramic work yourself.
on 11 January 2011
A wonderfull book for those interested in ceramic sculpture or looking for inspiration for their own work. A really wide range of styles and subjects.
on 2 December 2011
This is not only a useful and motivative book for potters...but makes a wonderful coffee table addition also and is beautifully presented...
on 27 March 2013
this is a really useful book for anyone interested in ceramics or studying ceramics. thumbs up!!
and it arrived fast
on 28 December 2015
It's a shame that I can't find this collection in my country (Portugal).
My girlfriend's a sculptress and she loved this collection. Guess I'll buy more from this series once in a while.
Steady book with excellent pictures.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse