TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 April 2011
I have read a few books by Brian Bowers on Leicas and to be honest whilst I did not highly rate the others, I do think Mr Bowers has done a great job here.

I own a Leica M8 but when I bought it from a Leica dealer it had no manual or software. I have a Leica X1 and expected the controls to be the same. They are not surprisingly and the camera had been set up incorrectly. The camera arrived at 9.10, the book from Amazon at 1.00 and by 2.00 I was enjoying the camera to the full.

The book got me through the set up, the way to adjust settings and after reading the book I gave up trying to find the meter mode controls (there are not any, whilst the Leica X1 has three). I fired off 20 or so images and tried all the controls, with the odd referral to the book and to be honest I am pleased I read this and not the manual.

The other information on Leica lenses is also useful and worthwhile reading. all in all I am a happy chappie with my book and M9. Well done Brian.

I removed one star as the update for the M9 is a smaller brochure style added to the book which is a bit of a cop out. But guess who is saving for a 21 mm lens and a M9?
on 17 August 2017
Can't comment on the M9 section as the book I actually bought covered the M8 and M8.2 only.
However, the information on the M8 and subsequent M8.2 was quite useful to an M6 film camera owner. Helped me make a start with my M8 when I subsequently found a suitable one.
on 11 August 2009
I had been looking forward to reading this book but was disappointed. It deals in the main with the properties of lenses (well) and does not add a lot to what you find in the manufacturer's manual.
Going digital was an enormous step for the Leica M series and a much more detailed volume concentrating on the digital nature of the camera is what is needed.
on 15 October 2009
If you have bought an M8 that has no manual (and you'd prefer not to download a PDF from Leica) this book may be what you are looking for. Also, if you have an M8 and are interested in the performance of various lenses; this publication will be of some use. If, however, you are looking for an insightful book on creating amazing imagery with a digital M - one that is filled with stunning and inspirational imagery - this book may well not live up to expectation.
VINE VOICEon 11 September 2009
I don't own a Leica M camera, but certainly wanted to know more about them; so in part this book did what I expected it to. I'd rather spend around £15 on a book about the subject than waste a stack of money on a very expensive camera I'm unlikely to use properly.

That said, for Leica M8 owners I imagine this book has been a let down. Nice glossy pictures abound, and there are some good decriptions of the different lenses and the challenges and enjoyment to be had from using them, but if you are looking for a great understanding of range finder cameras and how to master the Leica M8 - don't look here.

Even more bizarrely, this book has only just appeared in the UK, yet the M8 has been around since 2006, so it's already a little late in the day. With the release this week on 9 September of the M9, the book - if not completely out of date already - is certainly approaching its sell-buy date, and perhaps merits a drop in price, or a hasty re-vamp to include the increased benefits and modifications of the M9. So - good in places, but buyer beware.
on 22 June 2012
I am a fairly recent convert to Leica and have worked my way up to an M8. The instruction that you can download from Leica are fine for learning about the camera's operation, but the most fundemental decision you have to make is about the lense / lenses that you are going to use with the camera. There is so much to learn and Brian Bower covers all of the lenses and provides lots of really useful information. But it isn't just about the lenses; Bower is a real enthusiast and that's a great thing when you own the camera that he thinks so much of. This book has been an inspiration and I'm really glad I bought it.