on 22 July 2016
I think this is a wonderful book and only withheld a star because I felt the last few chapters were less coherent and gripping than the earlier ones!
I'd recommend the book to anyone of all faiths and none, but particularly to those who through their lives observing religious rituals by rote without ever seriously asking why!
on 30 May 2016
I've only read half this book so far, but if the rest is as absorbing, it will be one of the better books I've read. The only problem with books like this is that they are (possibly) only riveting for the already converted. I wonder whether anyone's mind which is of a different bent will be persuaded to his way of thinking. Hitchens had an incredibly varied life, and was obviously one who questioned everything, and mostly found the answers he got wanting. He wrote a lot in generalities, but then emphasised those thoughts with specific personal experiences. Some critics have said that Hitchens in this book proved that he questioned his beliefs, but I do not find that argument convincing at all. It's a great read.
on 24 January 2018
As well as giving someone interested in atheism a good start, I keep five copies by my front door.

You want to impose your religion on me? Well read this first......

No ‘religious door knockers’ in four years now.
on 6 January 2018
Our beliefs (religious or otherwise) should be strengthened by our ability to question them. The late, great Hitch tells it like it is. A change of heart or mind must come about by way of intelligent reasoning and not fear of eternal damnation. A great read!
on 9 November 2017
Hands down one of the best books on the topic of theology. The style of Hitchens, his knowledge, the logical thinking, the rationality, they also contribute to making this masterpiece. This book can be read in a single night, it is that amazing.
on 8 June 2015
I have only recently heard of Christopher Hitchens the author and was eager to read this book.He has clearly thoroughly researched his subject and I cannot find anything that I would disagree with as I have always thought that " Religion has a lot to answer for regardless of denomination , and yes religion does "poison everything". This book for the most part was easy to read although there were a couple of places I wished that he had put his points in laymans terms as I had a little difficulty understanding what he wrote. Overall I have to say " Well done Mr Hitchens for having the courage to tell it like it is" Religion is all about control and does poison everything if one lets it. This book should be prescribed reading for everyone.
on 2 March 2012
I thought this was an excellent and thought-provoking book - and I speak as someone with a faith. It certainly made me think - and one of my thoughts was that humankind really needs something to believe in as part of the way we are wired (or a large proportion of us, at least). If Christopher Hitchens is right in his basic premise then it may be the case that we need many centuries to evolve to a position he feels we ought to be in. Along the way lie many way-stations I would suggest. Not the least of these is the concept of religion as a personal confession and not as an absolute truth - in other words we need to get away from fundamentalism. This is clearly not an easy thing to do - but those of us whose faith is of the non-absolute type can see the value of all religions and those with no faith too who join together in communities to make the world a less harsh and more caring place.
on 1 April 2014
Most 'religions' play right into the hands of atheists!
Trouble is... most of what most of their adherents see as constituting their 'religion'(as opposed to spirituality, and 'getting' the simple straightforward messages offered) flies in the face of the messages of Christ, The Buddah, Allah, Krishna, and Tolle etc., and provides such wonderful ammunition for the atheists to shoot down 'religion' with such panashe and ease, as did Christopher Hitchens... and his views cannot be denied. I'd love to have been able to avail him of my own views/beliefs on, 'God', 'Religion' , and 'Satan'!!... I hope he would have been able to say to me, "Ah.. Now THAT I CAN go along with."!! Never mind... He knows now, more than any of us! Good on ya Christopher! :-)
Andrew.
on 3 October 2012
I have read a number of books regarding ethics and the morality of humankind. Christopher Hitchens will give you many, many avenues to research for yourself. I did the research after reading GOD IS NOT GREAT - Religion poisons everything, and I still continue to research. I feel bolstered in my own opinions and I have been made very aware that everyone matters - god, the gods and religion have nothing offer when it comes to common decency and respect for others. One does not need guidance on how to be a good person, it's instinctive. Selfishness needs to be forgiven for `us' to continue to use it without guilt - Religion poisons everything. Thanks to Chris Hitchens for his unrelenting quest for understanding. He will be missed.
on 30 January 2018
Hitchens adopts a more visceral approach than Richard Dawkins who scientifically demolishes belief in God whilst appearing to write from a neutral standpoint. Hitchens title should perhaps read Religion is not Great - God poisons everything, as religion is his principal target.