on 20 April 2017
Volume 2 of After the Fall fills in some of the gaps between what went down in the months between the Angel TV finale and the first volume of the comics. It answered many of the questions the first volume presented, but I found the execution could have been much better.

There is no Angel in this volume but instead an exploration of multiple perspectives. However, I feel as though we could have gained these viewpoints within actual present day action storylines. Instead this volume was simply 5 pages of backstory dedicated to a character, then another 5 to the next, then so on. Had these stories been embedded into earlier (or later) issues when we came across a character, I think the storytelling would have been far more effective.

Another thing that irked me was that each section had a different art style. And I don't mean each issue. I mean each individual character backstory had a different artist - covering about 8 styles in the space of 104 pages. I imagine this was done to distinguish the stories and the tone of each character, but I was not a fan, especially since some were not even remotely similar and had completely different colour schemes.

I had hoped for better with this volume, but I apprecitate that the reveal of all of this information would have been much better in television format. Regardless, I'm glad I have more to go on now than before, and I'm looking forward to continuing from where Volume 1 left us.
on 27 April 2009
The follow-up to Angel: After the Fall Vol. 1 goes back to where we were left at the end of season 5, detailing how the team coped with the impending onslaught from Walfram and Hart. Admittedly some of the stories are short, yet they help to answer some of the questions that were raised in Vol. 1. You can visualise the scenes as they would be on TV thanks to the great illustrations, and once you've been updated on the team's past, you'll want to dive straight into Vol.3 (picking up where Vol.1 left off) ready to to see how their futures unfold!
The stories running through issues #6-8 of IDW's comic-book continuation of Joss Whedon's TV-series `Angel' are collected as Angel: After the Fall Volume 2 - First Night TPB: After the Fall - First Night v. 2 (Angel (IDW Paperback)). The artwork is very good, and the individual characters mostly look like their TV counterparts most of the time (though I didn't recognise Kate, despite knowing who she was).

This volume is a `time-out' from the regularly-scheduled story, and is a flashback showing the events occurring immediately after the close of the last TV episode, as the group engage the evil army sent to attack them, and the city is dropped into a Hell dimension. It is told from multiple viewpoints, so we get lots of short stories, and not just the main characters. The writer has included a text piece at the back of the collection explaining who everyone is, and also gives some of the stories they decided to drop, so if like me you don't remember who many of the minor characters are from the TV series, this helps explain what the stories are showing you, and how we got to the beginning of the comic-book series.

This is a good continuation of the TV story - and is approved and overseen by Joss Whedon, so it ought to be - and I will be reading more.
on 21 January 2014
as in my review of vol 1 this was a surprise find, after many years of assuming an ending. Yes the time line indicates this volume first, but vol 1 is the better indicator of the story projection and needs to be read first. my lower rating is partly as i do not seem to enjoy this style of writing on a kindle, and that each 'episode' covered is very short. It works in live action to cut about frequently, but without the sustaining plot development of the actual actors it felt somewhat bitty to me. I am glad i tried it but it would take more to make me continue.
on 8 February 2009
This was interesting as it helped me catch up with the stories of the other characters in and around the events of the comics in the last volume but missed Angel. The stories were good but very brief. Not as much additional info and explaination accompanying the comics as the last volume which I also missed.
VINE VOICEon 31 July 2010
As the first book started the series already in motion, this volume tells the tale of Angels associates and how they survived since the fall. The storys can be short and a little wacky at times, however they serve to underpin the motivations for the characters in this new series.
on 30 December 2016
The book itself is in okay condition. Some damage to the binding and the corners of the book. But the receiver of the present was very impressed!
on 7 May 2014
This was a present for a Massive Angel enthusiast and they were so happy with it. Arrived in great time and it is is absolute perfect condition, no mark at all, pages were glossy and well kept.
on 15 October 2009
It was good to have this in hardback as it matches all my other angel hardback volumes.