Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 16 December 2011
I was looking forward to the 2nd instalment in this series. I'm enamoured with the time period and I wanted to learn more about Paul and Julia. This story takes place directly after Borrowed Light. Julia has been burned by the fire on the ranch, and Paul's home on the Double Tipi has burned to the ground. What trials await for Paul and Julia?

This story is so full of love and longing. There are so many twists and turns that I never saw coming. We get to see so much more of Julia and Paul's personalities in this book. We learn about them as a couple and how much they compliment one another. I loved that. This is practically drowning in Latter-day Saint stereotype again, so if you aren't LDS I'm afraid you won't understand a lot of what is happening. It could have used less of that. But, I still enjoyed the story. If you are looking for an old western LDS love story, then this is your book! It is quite beautiful!

Quote:
He nuzzled her neck. "I've been wanting to do that for months and months. Tell me when to stop."
on 11 February 2012
All Carla Kelly's books are delightful, but this one which is a sequal to Borrowed Light is particularly lovely. Borrowed light is a lovely story but left us up in the air. Enduring light follows on with Julia Darlings and Paul Ottos love story and sees it to conclusion. So much history is told in both these books, of how the Mormons battled predjudice to become accepted by people who didn't understand their religion. It also illustrates how hard ranching was and all the difficulties to be overcome by a young lady born and bred to city life and how she copes and adjusts to living & loving in the wilds of Wyoming. Definitely a pair of books that will be read and read again and again. I would dearly love a third one if Carla Kelly can continue with this family, so many fascinating characters in both of the books. I highly recommend this book but you really need to read Borrowed light first, to fully appreciate this one.
I love Carla Kelly so I pretty much purchase all her books that are available on Kindle. I love the way she gives great insight into what the main character is thinking whether or not the thoughts are stated out loud. Obviously, the first book in this series, "Borrowed Light," and this second book "Enduring Light" are written with an LDS (or Mormon) audience in mind, or if not an LDS audience, certainly Ms. Kelly doesn't hold anything back when it comes to putting the Mormon beliefs into these two books. If you haven't read "Borrowed Light," may I strongly suggest you read it before you read "Enduring Light."

The two main characters in these books are some of my favorites and I read about 10 books each week. You will not find the big misunderstandings which often occur between the main characters in some romance novels and which, may I say, can drive you nuts. Rather, Miss Darling and Mr. Otto are are just plain nice and the romance builds ever so slowly as we become acquainted with these rich characters and the lives they lead.
on 11 January 2017