Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 March 2010
This is Don Fink's 2nd Edition and updated version of the hugely popular Be Ironfit. This has become somewhat of a triathletes 'bible' and is a must not only for anyone considering long distance triathlon training and racing, but also for those who want to achieve a very high level of fitness. Don Fink has managed to document and explain in a very clear way, that achieving the 'Ironman' dream is very doable for the majority of people. His tried and tested principles of training are based around efficient time management and quality training and he documents many examples of 'normal' athletes with full time jobs and families etc that manage to successfully achieve their Ironman goals with his help, without having sacrificed the all important quality family and friends time. I have used other triathlon training books in the past but quickly got confused with the scientific terminology and principles suggested, in this book Don has outlined 30 week training plans for the beginner, intermediate and competitive athlete which makes extremely useful reference.
Overall, an extremely well structured easy to understand book and highly recommended.

A note about the Author:
Don Fink is an internationally known triathlon and running coach, and author. He an his wife Melanie have coached hundreds of athletes to personal best times and breakthrough performances utilizing their innovative training approaches.
In addition to being a coach Don Fink is also an elite athlete. He has raced over 30 Iron Distance triathlons and recorded many age group victories and course records. Don's Time of 9:08 at the 2004 ironman Florida is still one of the fastest times recorded by and athlete in the 45-49 age group. Don has also placed top three overall in the 2002 Ultra man world Championships (6.2mile swim, 262-mile bike, and 52.4 mile run) in Hawaii.
on 10 October 2011
I bought this book with the specific aim of entering Ironman Wales in September 2011. I had done all other tri distances and struggled through a middle distance in 2010 in 7hr 15mins. I knew I would need a more structured plan to get me through the big one whilst also balancing a professional working and family life. It really did work for me. I commenced the plan in February and stuck religiously to the detail. I did drop the odd session and my swims towards the end were two instead of three a week. I crossed the finish line in 13hrs 35mins of what many are saying is a very tough Ironman course. I wouldn't have done it without this book it is a must for any budding Ironman novice.
on 9 February 2011
I bought the book as I've entered my first half ironman in May and full ironman in July and I wanted to know how to train properly for both events.

It's well written and easy for an IM novice like me to understand! The programmes are set out so all you have to do is be disciplined and motivate yourself to follow them. I'm on week 7 of the competitive programme (there are three levels of difficulty to choose from) and so far it's not been too tough but it does get a lot more intense as the weeks pass and it's only a matter of time before training completely takes over my life!

Don Fink covers all the areas I wanted to know about - the section on training in the correct heart rate zones and what to do if you miss a training session were really helpful.

I would recommend this book people who want to take the guesswork out of training and get on with it :)
on 11 June 2011
Not an overly fussy book, if your looking for something more scientfic and in depth, It does what it says on the tin, it's simple and easy to follow and any one who is training for an IM will appreciate the simplistic aproach this is what you need to do ... do it
on 19 October 2014
I've got a couple of other training books but this had been recommended. Some sensible advice, though not wildly new compared to other triathlon training books. Also some useful principles - the long run, the long ride.

The down side? Why no 5 stars then? For me (so not wholly the book's fault), some training recommendations just didn't work. My swim speed is too slow to get through even the first swim session except by allowing extra time at the weekend, which was depressing; and trying to go out and train before my partner woke up didn't work for us. Finally I can't quite see how being in the same room as your children / partner while you're on the turbo is actually "spending time with" them in the sense of quality, contact and availability.

In summary, it made me question the level of my available time, ability, motivation and, well, selfishness. I decided I probably didn't have enough. Perhaps my mental attitude is at fault but putting you off is probably not the book's desired outcome!
on 22 March 2015
Bought read and trained to this book, excellent tips and advice... Got me over the line in 12hrs 25mins.

I used this more as a guide than by the law, read the book and you'll understand what I mean.
on 13 December 2011
this book gives good incite into the world of 'Ironman' and some usefull tips on preparing for one. Even though i've swum, run and cycled for years July will be my first 1/2 ironman and pulling the three together is explained well in this book. Hopefully following one of the easier 3 training regimes in this book will get me past the half and i can then pick a harder regime for the full in 2013. i think if you're new to the triathlon sport or to ironman distances, this will definately come in usefull and wont break the bank...
on 15 July 2015
Great insight into training for an Ironman from Beginners to Advanced with a 30 week schedule. You don't rigidly have to stick to the program, you can mix and match but at least the sessions keep you focused for that big race!
on 3 December 2011
A great book with great tips from a man who knows what it takes. If you think that you don't have the time to train for Iron races, think again. Read this book and you will see that anyone can 'Be Iron Fit'! Even top competitors juggle with top jobs, family life, training and rest. IT CAN BE DONE!
on 13 June 2014
This book has answered all of the questions I might have had about how I could find the time to train for an Ironman event. Well written it clearly shows you how to plan your first event from beginning to end. I had plenty of experience at shorter triathlons and like every triathlete an Ironman distance event was the one I always wanted to do, with the help of this book I am now sure that dream can become reality.