Customer reviews

Microsoft WSH and VBScript Programming for the Absolute Beginner, Third Edition
Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 December 2007
I work for a techie company where we rely on VBScript to automate many routine tasks. We would make so many more mistakes without them. So first, credit to Microsoft for making something that is very useful (and surprisingly...free). I understand general programming concepts, but I'm not a programmer. However I needed to understand VBScript so I could write my fair share of scripts. With the use of this book (my company already had it so I did not need to buy it), I developed something simple, but useful (It's not that simple if you are a beginner though). I had to use many special in-built methods and keywords.

This book gives a really great introduction on the language and the WSH environment which is so useful & fascinating to understand and to learn. The organization of the book is actually excellent, and makes it fun to read and follow page to page. The examples are games which I personally think is always a good idea, because they are complex and give you the most opportunity to learn programming logic and the way a language works, and they are fun to do. He does go on to more advanced stuff, which is important. The structure and layout of his coding is disciplined so you pick up good habits. This book also sets you tasks (building on his examples) which are nice motivation to think for yourself and learn further. It's only possible to do if you have time and are really enjoying it. I have brought programming books, but always ended up giving up, but this book has really ignited my desire to learn programming. So I really recommend it if you are a beginner wanting to learn general programming or are looking to automate many routine tasks on your PC.

The other positive thing about VBScript (and therefore learning it) is that it is similar to Visual Basic, VBA, and ASP.net (I've noticed few similarities when learning ASP.Net).

CONS: There are some typos (in the coding examples) but not that many, and most people with some basic understanding of programming should detect the errors with a bit of thought.
on 19 June 2009
I'm a complete noob when it comes to any sort of scripting/programming, brought this book a few weeks ago and it is great, it introduces you slowly and each chapter shows you how to create a game increasing in difficulty as the book progresses.
on 17 December 2014
I started as a bit of a novice and this book sets you on your way to being able to write some complex vbScript. I had to go over a few things once or twice but this was due to fat fingers or spelling mistakes. A really good book and recommended for anyone starting to use VBScript.
on 4 March 2013
Really enjoyed this book, it has helped me understand wsh programming much better.Easy to follow, there are some good scripts as well.
on 2 September 2015
Good for a beginner but few practical business examples.
on 15 February 2011
I have never got any use from reading this book. there are some examples to play around with but reference to real life applications was very thin.
on 27 January 2015