HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 December 2008
As mentioned elsewhere, I am in the process of converting from film to digital photography and there are certain aspects which I have found quite daunting. Over the past few months I have studied several books and tutorial DVDs on the subject as that process of conversion continues. I have also attended courses run by Nikon (UK) and it was on the first of those I was introduced to this book. My fellow student insisted this was the best available on the subject and I have come to the conclusion he was right.

Of course, there are those whose expertise is already at a well advanced level who seem to delight in purchasing products such as this just to write a less than praiseworthy review. It's called showing off! Take it from someone who has studied the field, whatever you want or need to know about this camera, the answer really is found in this product.

Laid out in an easy-to-follow format with plenty of excellent illustrations this book begins at the BEGINNING by helping you set up your camera. Slowly, the author builds upon each item shown as we work our way through the book to learn all, there is to learn about the Nikon D300.

I always find it better to read a number of books on the same subject - if only because a different approach often helps to explain a difficult point in an alternative way. If, however, you can only afford one book on this subject, then "This" is the one to buy.

NM
on 16 September 2008
If you have the D300 this book will enable you to get the most out of it.
It goes into detail with every menu and button, in an easy to understand style.I have read others that are little better than the instruction manual.
Its easily a 5 star rating.
on 20 November 2008
This is the only book you will need for the D300.
There are so many functions and settings in the camera's menu that it is easy to get yourself wrapped up in them. This book sorts out any settings you may have altered by accident. I thought I had bought a faulty camera but this book sorted me out. Worth every penny. Should be supplied by Nikon as default. I feel I really understand my D300 after reading this book. (Yes cover to cover.)
on 22 May 2011
This is the second book I have bought about the D300.After about a year of ownership I decided I did not know as much as I could about the camera and decided to try another book.I wish I had bought this one first,its big,comprehensive and clear.It included a lot of information that I was completely unaware of and its a great read as well.
on 4 November 2008
I recently purchased a copy of David Busch's Nikon D300 Guide to Digital SLR Photography, and I must say that it has proved to be a worhtwhile investment. Throw away the manual provided by Nikon - it tells you what every function is, but not a word about how and when to use it.

This book covers everything you need to know and more about the D300.

Nikon - please ask David Busch to write your guides!
on 17 December 2008
Covers everything you could possibly need to know.

I bought this and Mastering the D300 By Darrell Young and agree with the reviews here on Amazon.com that they are both well worth buying

Both Books are worthy 5 stars. But if I had to buy one it would be this one as it has a far more friendly style and covers a bit more. I would also say this would also be the better book for a relative novice (It does assume you have some basic photography knowledge). Darrells book however is a bit moreluggable as a field guide.
on 20 August 2017
Poor value!
on 18 April 2012
Really well written informative guide on the D300. Easy to follow and gives the info you need to use the D300. I use it as a reference guide and as I want to expand the camera's capabilities I just go to the relevant section. Highly recommended and good value.
on 15 July 2017
Excellent book. Very informative
on 3 December 2008
If you are new to the Nikon D300 then i doubt there is a better book to buy.
I have just upgraded from a Nikon D50 and found this book to be brilliant,with crystal clear pictures and instructions in an easy to understand format it was well worth the money.

Mike Wood