Showing 1-10 of 78 reviews(3 star). See all 1,580 reviews
on 24 August 2016
This book was just ok, not something I would want to reread in the near future
on 24 June 2017
Beautifully written beginning & end but the middle most often left me feeling like I was wading through treacle. Worth a read all the same.
on 19 July 2017
Interesting. I'm only half way through so not sure what I really think about the story yet.
on 2 June 2017
I am still reading it ,but so far it is a good book
A friend recommended it to me. Well written, but I did not relate to it.
on 28 January 2015
I found this book a bit long winded and a bit weird
on 2 July 2017
Good read - different type of story- well written - not over guided - would definitely purchase another book by this author as I dis like his style
on 23 November 2010
I can't say I enjoyed this book. I was half way through before I got anything out of it. After that I found a few comforting truths.
80% of it I didn't like and would never read again.
on 13 June 2014
People kept telling me to try this book. I should know by now that if anything is described as "life changing", "revelatory", "consciousness expanding" etc. that it almost certainly will not be, but I still fell for it. This is poor writing...and boring. I then found out that authorship was disputed and that various people had a hand in its formation. That shows through in the style. None of them can write very well and I found the "thought provoking" cabin scenes to be just plain silly. I admire the initial premise - to create a story that would grip a huge audience and sell millions - but it could all have been done so much better. The publicist and publishers worked harder than the writer(s).
on 7 July 2017
It's worth a read if only to clarify your own belief in God (or not). My catholic upbringing was not at all reinstated as a result of reading this but some of the 'lessons' that are raised in the book definitely hit home. I found it a wee bit ludicrous to see God the father and God the spirit portrayed as a woman bu.t you need to read the book to discover the reason why. If you are a true believer, particularly of the Catholic faith then this is a must read for you but also if you have broken away from organised religion and found your own spiritual path you also might get something from some of the writing but definitely not from all of it. I was able to purchase mine for Kindle for only 99p so I got my money's worth but I wouldn't pay £5.99 for it! (must be because the movie is now out that the price has been raised!).