on 29 March 2017
An outstanding and inspirational volume which is probably the best book of its time, dealing not only with particular projects but also supplying a comprehensive teaching course. Instruction is clear, methodical and very well written. Bravo!
on 20 December 2010
Fantastic book, I wasn't very interested in the patterns mostly, but the tutorials are absolutely fab. If ever you have found a pattern you like, but want to knit it in a different yarn, then this is the book. The tutorials are easy to use and lead you through to design your own knitwear. I love it.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 18 November 2010
Are we looking at the same book??? Ever wanted to design your own knitwear? Let Shirley be your guide. I must admit that I am both a knitter and a knitwear designer. I was attracted to the fabulous design on the front cover. Let's start at the beginning, this book is beautifully produced with a spiral binding so the pages lie flat - it's well laid out and illustrated. However that's nothing without the contents doing their job. And they do. Shirley takes you from the initial research and ideas for design right through to finishing techniques. In between is everything you need to know. I was astounded by how many designs she has included - these could lead to numerous combinations for the avid designer. There are useful worksheets you could photocopy or scan and use for each design you create. She shows you how to create a schematic - something I have not seen in any other book. Learn about yarn and its construction, selecting a patten stitch and combining stitches. Get the maths right and discover what you need to know about fit. The basic pattens can easily be adapted. I love the choice of necklines and sleeves - giving you alternatives that you can expand. I think the projects are great too. I would recommend this to any budding knitwear designer and to anyone who is interested in what lies behind making good knitting patterns. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 29 August 2010
this is an excellent book for anyone who wants to design or adjust a knitting pattern so that it fits each individual

the lessons and advice are clearly set out and explained so that you can be sure that what you knit will fit the person

for whom you are knitting this is an essential buy for any knitter who want to make perfectly fitted garments

each section is fully explained and it is reasonably priced
on 8 June 2014
I am rather beginner in knitting and I knit just scarfs because form is rather difficult for me but I am great at patterns and this book helped me a lot with the form. You can easily measure the body and the whole process gets a fresh start and steady flow without it making you feel overwhelmed. The content is very thorough and covers what you need if you plan too first your first garmets. Enjoy knitting!
on 19 November 2012
This book is maybe worth of buing for actuall designers and highly skilled knitters. Not for average knitter like me. Alltough I have to say I have started to desing my patterns, but my English is not (yet) that good I would understand all of these magnificent information. But yet nice and challenging patterns. Nice pictures to watc.
on 14 March 2015
There is loads to learn from this book, but it really only covers adult female figures. It would be appropriate for either knitters or sewers, as it really covers pattern making in great detail. Well worth space on your shelf, but as I say limited in subject matter.
on 9 January 2017
Absolutely everything you need to know about designing your own garments to ensure success. If you want to start designing your own patterns or going off piste with existing ones this will help you enormously. It helped me understand how to design sleeve caps for set in sleeves which helped be better understand how to knit them straight onto a garment body using short rows. Excellent. Jumper finished, well fitting and a a lot less pain than had I not had this book so as far as I am concerned it has paid for itself and will go on the "do not lend" book shelf.
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2011
What a brilliant book! I love the spiral binding so I can lay it flat on a page to work through a topic as I knit or sketch. A fantastic resource for anyone wanting to design knitwear either for themselves (to get an accurate fit) or for others. Lots of advice on subjects such as ease, measuring, necklines, waist shaping, garment lengths, sleeve types, fitting, seaming, construction methods, finishing details, adding patterns etc. If you want to make knits that fit or even to adapt a pattern you've already bought then buy this book.
on 20 December 2016
Brilliant book. Has all the maths I need to know about in designing my own sweater and for my increase and decreases as well as alternative hem, sleeves, neck collars etc. I'll recommend it to up coming wannabe knitwear designer.