on 24 January 2012
I won't give it five star because well i don't 100% love it. But this is a fabulous book that gives you step by step details on how to make your own birds from the artist herself, although not strict she does expect you to experiment by only suggesting what she herself uses. The explanations are clearly shown with step by step photos and clear directions, and each bird is wonderful to make. What i expected was not what it was, all these birds are Machine sewn and i expected some to be hand sewn or made with polymer clay. Still its a fantastic book which is fantastic quality!
on 9 February 2011
Wonderful projects, with clear explanations and many pictures.
But also with tips and suggestions on how to create your own patterns.
The author is really willing to share her experience with the reader, making him possible to emulate her work.
I've followed the author on her blog for a while admiring her work (she is definitely an artist) and finally decided to buy the book. I am not sure if I will be able to create one of her birds, but nevertheless I am really enjoing the reading.
Suggested to all crafters.
11 Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 May 2012
This book ended up being all I expected, plus more. Not only did it give me instructions on how to make a variety of different birds, it told me how to construct my own birds from my own designs. It has very clear instructions, patterns, and photos. It advises on a variety of different types of materials to use or try that will produce many varieties.
VINE VOICEon 16 March 2014
I have long been wanting to try to make some little birds and came across this book so I thought I would give it a try. The book itself is excellent with a good variety of our feathered friends to make. The only gripe I have is about the actual patterns themselves. Some of them are great, full sized and easy (I hope) to follow, however, like so many of these types of books, there are some patterns which have some of the pieces needing to be resized - 117%, 130% and so on. Now, to me, this is a real nuisance as there is no copy shop within my reach and my printer is very basic meaning I can't do them at home. I now have two options, either miss these patterns out altogether (a pity as I really wanted to do an owl) or try to guess and try to draft the pieces that require upsizing. This is not easy as my maths is definately suspect. I really cannot see why the pieces can't be included in their full size, even if it means splitting them in two with the maker photocopying them and sticking them together before making. This would be an easy option in this case as the birds are relatively small and, in the case of the penguin, this is what they actually did - easy..... Hopefully future authors and publishers will take note.... That said, the instructions seem to be really clear and having copied and cut a couple of the patterns, I plan to make the wren and possibly the lark in the next few days but anticipate no major problems. Famous last words!!!
on 5 July 2012
I was looking for art, I got twee. The Owl is appalling.
See 'The art of Annemieke Mein' if you want to see real artistry derived from nature.
Sorry I bought it.
I think embroiderers suspend their critical faculties.
Or perhaps they are really looking for 'cute'.
I want art.
It is so hard to find.
on 20 January 2013
A grossly misleading title. It really is hard to believe publishers took this one on board. The book is nothing more than a collection of twee un-birdlike creations which would look more at home in a Primary Reception Class. This one went straight back - pronto!
on 27 February 2011
This book is quite delightful.The instructions are very easy to follow and easy to adapt to your own designs.
I am an experienced quilter and consequently have a huge range of fabrics crying out to be used for the projects in this book. I am also a keen ornithologist and enjoy encouraging my grandchildren to appreciate the birds around them. I have plans to make them each their own bird.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 10 February 2011
If you like feathered friends, you will be overjoyed by this book. It has good templates and many birds to make and sew. They are quite detailed. Excellent photography and good instructions throughout. Use the techniques to let your imagination fly and create your own flock of individual birds. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book website.
on 25 September 2011
I'd been reading Glassenberg's blog, so was eagerly anticipating this book. It introduces what are - to me at least - a whole new range of techniques for soft toy/soft sculpture. I didn't like all the patterns, but that only makes me want to have a go and see if I can improve on them. Her wrens are lovely, and the owls are fabulous - I would fill my house with them, if I had the time to make them all! But regardless of whether you like the patterns or not, it's definitely worth buying for the explanations of how they're made. Great book (and great blog)!
on 5 June 2013
Have had great fun making some of these birds although some are rather weird species( American I suppose) and the diagrams were very small and not easy to follow even with a magnifier, The wire legs needed plenty of practice before on junk wire, but so satisfying when all made up into the cutest little dicky bird.