on 22 February 2011
You know all the knitting books and magazines you own, with only one or two patterns you actually want to knit? Well, being a knitter in my 20s I have quite a few, especially from the companies that don't offer single pattern purchase (yes, Rowan, I'm talking about you). This book is different.

There are several VERY nice designs in this book, especially the hampton cardigan (will teach you how to knit dolman sleeves) and the auburn top. I also like the cover sweater, and have already knit the windsor warmer which is a simple, cashmere scarf/cowl with buttons. Also, this book has some beautiful jacket/hoodie patterns with cable and moss stitch.

Now, a comment about the designs from a clothing perspective (rather than from a knitting perspective). In my opinion, many knitting patterns today are overdesigned. Too much going on, embroidery, tasteless use of cabling or other decorative stitches that indeed display your skills as a knitter, but results in a garment with a not-so-classic look. Now, this book does contain a few of these patterns, but luckily, much of it can simply be left out when knitting (like embroidery/pockets).

Overall, I was happy to discover that the vast majority of the patterns are what I would call contemporary classics. Not too plain, but not overdesigned either, and many of the 'extra' design elements can be left out with little or no modification to the actual pattern. I think there are maybe 1-2 patterns that I really don't like, the rest has great potential. But Interveawe, lose the bag patterns. Seriously, if I had 4 hanks of Donegal tweed, I would NOT knit a bag.
VINE VOICEon 25 March 2011
I LOVE this book, it's one I pick up and glance at on a regular basis, I've made the Ashfield Cardigan (very pretty and a quick knit), have bought yarn to make the cover design the Middlefield Pullover and would love to make the cabled sweater but haven't quite got my head round the waist shaping (hip shaping to accommodate my large bottom!) I'd have to do. Yarns are in American yarn weights but are easily substituted, ask at your local yarn shop and if they don't know, buy the yarn somewhere that does! The info is readily available online if you need to check it but as always knit a tension square before you start.
Great photography, nice anecdotes about the pattern, the inspiration and the chosen yarns. The designers are helpful if you have pattern problems and any errata are published on Interweave's website. There is a group on Ravelry with various knit-alongs for those wanting to ask advice or share project info and that's visited by the designers themselves who frequently pop in to answer questions. If you like this, you'll love Brave New Knits.
on 7 January 2011
I love this book and could easily cast on at least half of the patterns right away. As expected a lot of the yarns are American but should be easy enough to substitute. It is a nice change to have a pattern book with so many lovely knits
on 14 December 2010
Really good value for money.
Patterns are different than usual and a good technical section demonstrating a broad range of techniches.
on 19 July 2012
I bought this book because it features top down and no-seam sweaters. It has many other really attractive patterns using different directional construction techniques. These were an added bonus when I looked through the book. I haven't knitted anything from it yet but have at least six I will make in due course. As an expereienced knitter I can thoroughly recommend it. I think it is suitable for just about all levels although not sure it's for beginners.
Timelss knitwear with a modern twist is an apt sub title.
on 16 January 2012
There are lots of interesting patterns in this book, and there are several things I plan to make. The construction of many of the pieces are slightly unusual, and I'm quite pleased with the book on the whole. My main complaint would be that it is aimed for the American market, so many of the patterns are made in "worsted" yarn, which is a thickness not used in the UK, so gauge squares will be absolutely essential when choosing yarns. Plus all of the samples are made in yarns I've never heard of before, and wouldn't be able to buy here if I wanted to. Overall though, I am pleased with this book.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 25 October 2010
Looking for cosy fitted sweaters that will see you through the cold months? This book has designs suited to all colder areas where you need to wrap up. Designed for autumn to spring, these classics have a contemporary feel. Good photography and instructions make this book a pleasure to use. Apart from the skirt, I think all the 25 projects are very acceptable. Sizes from misses to the big missus - approx 34 to 50 inches. A good collection of modern knitting patterns that will become timeless classics in your wardrobe. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 23 November 2012
I ordered this book as a treat to myself when I was feeling a bit glum, it did the trick! I really love all the patterns and there are a good selection for different tastes. Currently working on the Mystic Pullover, its coming out well! Some of the yarns are very hard to come by, especially in the UK, but I have not found it difficult to substitute yarn. A book to return to again and again :-)
on 31 August 2012
I can't decide which one to try first! A lovely collection of jumpers and cardigans. The only slight problem if you are less experienced would be having to find equivalent yarns, therefore the 4 stars.
on 6 April 2014
I have looked through book and seen some wonderful patterns, the trouble is which one to start first. Recommend Book to other Knitters.