Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 April 2008
As someone who recently became interested in spinning, this book was recommended to me as a good guide. I am using a spindle and there are plenty of pictures to demonstrate the various techniques. There is quite a lot on explaining the spinning wheel too if I should choose to progress to one. It explains all the terminology and there is a section on plying and setting the twist. If you want to start from scratch there is a section on carding and preparing fleece. As someone who prefers lots of pictures and diagrams when learning something new this book was brilliant for me. The only reason I didn't give it 5 starts is that more experienced spinner probably wont find it useful.
on 9 April 2009
I'm so glad I chose this book. Following a spinning workshop, I wanted a book that help me with the fundimentals and this is it!

Everything is explained in clear diagrams accompanied by in-depth explanations, with summaries at the end, so whatever style you prefer this is an excellent book.

My favourite thing about it is that unlike many teachers, the author does not try to force you to do things in a particular way, but presents a range of methods to try so you can pick the ones that suit you best.
on 31 May 2009
I'm new to spinning and I'm finding this book very informative with clear photographs and instructions.My wheel isn't the same as the author's but it gives me a good idea of how it works and what should be happening.It also shows how to use a drop spindle for those who don't own a wheel. This is a great book for a learner.
on 7 December 2010
This book is great. I have just started spinning and this has been a great help. the text is simple to follow and the photos really add to your understanding. I also love the troubleshooting section which has saved me on more than one occasion. A truly brilliant book for beginners and intermediates alike.
on 2 May 2011
This is a great book for beginners like me. Instructions are clear & concise, it is well laid out & covers all types of spinning.
on 31 July 2013
This was quite helpful as I was a total novice in regard to spinning yarn. In some places it made the process seem a little more complicated, but this was cleared up when I got someone to give me a lesson on how to spin.
on 21 July 2014
What a godsend this book has been. I have learnt to spin on my own as there are no guilds or classes where I live. I started with a spindle and have progressed to a wheel and I still have this book propped open at times when I'm trying to work something out. I've tried youtube videos etc. but this is my go to book at the moment. It's brilliant! Thank you Maggie Casey!
on 5 February 2013
A really simply written book explaining all the pros and cons of spinning, very educational, it was recommended to me
on 29 May 2013
The book was very imformative & easy to understand anyone just setting up should read it & strongly recomend it.
on 14 April 2016
This is an excellent introduction for those wanting to learn how to spin, covering techniques for preperation, spinning techniques on both spindle and spinning wheel, plying and how to design the type of yarn you want.