on 20 December 2007
I was rather disappointed when I opened this book, the first thing which dismayed me was the fact that it's American so if you want to buy the author's own brand of yarn then OK, but if you don't, the equivalent English yarn thicknesses are not given. It's possible to work by checking the tension/needle sizes, but it would be so much better if it was given.
Having had a moan about that aspect of the book I am now intent upon discovering what's luxurious about such items as scarves, fingerless mittens, mittens in a rather bulky looking fairisle style, a tabard! a duffle shaped stretchy bag a couple of beanie hats - again one in a fairisle style, another with buttons stitched on, and a couple of rather skimpy wraps, one like a wide lacy scarf with fringes, another like a cable scarf fastened around the arms with buttons (move your arms if you dare!) and one trimmed with buttons which you'd certainly catch your long hair in (supposing you have long hair).
Really a very disappointing selection. Maybe the yarn (author's own brand) turns the cost of such everyday items into luxury ones??
On the plus side the bag on the front is easy and can be made with suitable substitute yarn, there is a pretty and rather unusual beret/cloche style hat, and a lacy angora scarf with knitted flower brooch trim (where other yarn can easily be used) which has saved the book from being a total waste of money for me.
88 Comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2012
I have recently bought this book and couldnt wait to get started, I have knitted the bag on the front cover as well as 3 other items in the book and all have turned out as stunning as the book showed. They were all easy to knit despite looking complicated in the photos. I used my own colours and have used Rowan dk cotton in my versions though I am sure that lots of dk wool would be just as good. Look at the length of yarn in each ball described and try to find a yarn of equal length and after a tension square you should be able to find a suitable substitute yarn but hey if you want to produce high quality items then use high quality wool, you'll spend lots of enjoyable hours knitting the patterns from this book so you will want to hand them over as heirlooms as they are so beautiful. In the meantime enjoy this book, the pictures alone are worth the cost of the book!
review image
on 28 November 2008
I was also a little disappointed with this book - I think it is probably aimed at the younger knitter rather than the middle-aged one! There were hardly any projects that I would bother to try and make.
VINE VOICEon 31 October 2009
This is divided into a few sections- Eclectic and Quirky; Textured and Modern; Pretty and Feminine and Traditional and Folk. Some of it is quite pretty and it is the kind of thing that someone more into girly stuff would like. Honestly I see about three patterns I like but nothing in this made me want to reach for my needles.

I've seen some of the garments in person and they are cute but not me, I'm not a person for handbags, I'm a shoulder bag person and I'm weaning myself off looking at neck fastening cardigans because they drive me crazy. One of the things I really did like about the book was the way some of the items were knit in different yarns, smooth and fluffy so you could see the way a different yarn could change the look. Also some of the embroidery and embelishment was interesting. So for me it was a glance through and get inspiration book. The one garment I was interested in has been reproduced in a magazine I get, so I have it already.

It's one that really you either love or just like. It's one to take a look at somewhere before investing.
on 2 June 2009
I have several Louisa Harding books and so was already a fan. This book did not dissappoint and I would highly recommend it. The patterns are easy to follow and are ideal for gifts. I bought this with birthdays and Christmas in mind - though I may treat myself too! Unlike most pattern books there is not one item that I would not choose to make. If you're looking for versatile patterns and something a little bit chic and different this is the book for you.
on 19 July 2009
of course we're all entitled to our own opinions but i do think this book lives up to its title, its a wondrously beautiful book filled with inspiring designs and doable patterns. i feel the patterns are great things for ourselves and also ideal gifts.
VINE VOICEon 25 February 2011
A lovely book. I have made several of the garments and am pleased with the results. Easy to follow patterns with good instructions.
on 11 January 2011
this is a really pretty book - it does what it says on the tin and there are some very beautiful textures and patters. They are quite complex so certainly wouldnt recommend for a begininer!
note that the wools can be costly that they recommend but worth it for the quality.
I often pick this book up and look through so have enjoyed reading it and looking at it but I have't actually made many items.
on 12 January 2008
What a joy this book is -- beautifully photographed as always and using louisa hardings stunning yarns .I have a teenage daughter who is very impressed with the quirky and eclectic section and in total I will be knitting at least 9 of the designs -- any louisa harding fan will love it .
on 30 March 2014
Beautiful items I can't wait to knit. Lots of lovely things especially the bag illustrated on the front. Will be busy over the next few months!