I was torn in deciding how to grade this book. Clearly, anyone who has already enjoyed most of Dr. Maxwell's outstanding leadership books would find this book to be a valuable, inexpensive and highly portable reminder of those many lessons. For that person, the book is clearly a five star value! Carry it around and draw sustenance from it!! My rating above reflects this perspective, since there are lots of people who do know his work well. When you face a leadership challenge, pull this book out to refocus you and your energies in the right direction!
What about the person who's new to leadership? I would have to grade the book much lower, probably a 2 or 3. Somewhere in the middle of the book (probably between chapters 5-7), most people new to leadership would lose the thread. It's just a little too condensed. In addition, I just didn't think that several of the examples worked for the point they attempted to make.
Here are the book's structure and key examples for its 108 jam-packed pages:
Part I: The Development of a Leader
1. Why Should I Grow as a Leader?
2. How Can I Grow as a Leader?
Part II: The Traits of a Leader
3. How Can I Become Disciplined?
4. How Should I Prioritize My Life?
5. How Do I Develop Trust?
6. How Can I Effectively Cast Vision?
Part III: The Impact of Leader
7. Why Is Influence Important?
8. How Does Influence Work?
9. How Can I Extend My Influence?
10. How Can I Make My Leadership Last?
Finally, what's the best part of the book? For me, it was the repetition of the Law of the Lid: "Your ability to accomplish things is circumscribed until you can energize others in the same purpose." There's a nice set of graphic displays to make this point.
As a technical note, some of the information in the examples seemed dated. It's almost as though these examples were all written a number of years ago, and not revisited.
Draw inspiration from your vision of serving others . . . and get busy!
on 13 December 2011
Really enjoyed listening to this audio book. Reader is very clear and author wrote this book very well.

More life lessons than actual leadership skills and ideas which I found very inspiring and motivational.

It has encouraged me to delve much deeper into the study of leadership.

Highly reccomended!!
on 2 March 2013
I am not a leader but I bought this audio book because I find the subject interesting. We all lead at least ourselves. The stories in the book reveal the qualities required in a leader. This study is impressive and I appreciate the palpability produced out of an area which is otherwise not a very tangible one. It make a perfect driving companionship as the recording is very clear without any intrusive musical background. I also do not mind the american accent. The tone of Sean Runnette voice is nice. It amused at times when, I thought he was going to end and start a new phrase singing. A good product for a very good price.
on 12 September 2013
Just applied to return thus Kindle book. Got 15% through this tiny book and wondered why every page felt like I had read it before. That's because I had. Its exactly the same text the author put in his very good Developing The Leader Within book. I feel this is at best outrageous as and at worst a straight time waster - books can be returned.

Buy his other book. Its better. Although I am annoyed with the publisher sand author four wasting my time.
on 6 September 2013
Once again - excellent teaching from John Maxwell. His practical lessons in life, how to get the best out of our relationships and how to be successful in leadership are just what is needed in our world today. Firmly grounded in the wisdom of God's Word - without being 'preachy' - I know 2 men who are not Christians but listen to his teaching over and over again.
on 7 March 2014
great cd,it helps create a better understanding of leadership and the role you have.very informative,easy to digest ,i would highly recommend this cd also to self employed people as well as leadership people .
on 16 September 2013
Simple practical ideas backed up by personal stories and examples....brilliant. Would recommend it to anyone thinking about succeeding in life.
on 14 July 2014
Average book. Same concepts repeated over and over in other Maxwell's books. So buy one of them only.
on 18 August 2015
Very inspiring small easy to handle
easy to read.
I have l recommend it to some friends
on 31 December 2013
Has helped in many faceted if my life. At work and at home. God bless the man for writing this.