Customer reviews

on 3 June 2014
I read this and agreed with much that was said. It isn't really a book for those who think they are good and righteousness. It is for those who have grown beyond that belief.

It hints at a God who is more loving and merciful than many people imagine.

I've only given it three stars because there is an annoying characteristic of the author to talk about receiving as an act of growth. This is fine and lovely when comparing the idea of 'receiving' to the idea of 'doing' to gain God's approval. But a lot of the book talks about receiving from God and simply letting him act within us. This is all very well but there is one thing that the author forgets to mention: That God is invisible. He doesn't elaborate on how to receive from God. So readers like me are stuck with the usual questions (like 'How?' - the unanswered question that seems to follow every single sermon, whether written or spoken).

How do you receive an invisible gift from an invisible God when you can't actually do anything?

I wasn't sure about some of the author's 'tough love' anecdotes either. Brennan Manning suggests that the only thing that makes God angry is believing that he is anything less than loving, graceful, forgiving and merciful.

I suppose that is better than portraying an angry God concerned only with judgment.
on 1 October 2014
This book is superb, it opened my eyes and mind to a whole new way of thinking. As a fairly new Christian I was continuously striving to become better in all that I did, that in itself wasn't wrong, but feeling worthless every time I failed was a road heading to disaster. Now thanks too this book I know that God love's me as long as I truly love Him.
However, Brennan does tend to use words that I needed a dictionary which can be a bit off-putting and could spoil the context of the information being given. Generally speaking, this book is well worth reading.
One person found this helpful
on 17 November 2010
The Ragamuffin Gospel deserves 5 stars as a book, but the AUTHENTIC CLASSICS edition is full of typos and so badly laid out that it is difficult to read (for example 'ran' instead of 'can', whiskey served with IRE rather than ICE). I returned it and got the MULTNOMAH edition - what a difference! Clearly laid out and no typos. Please do buy this book but make sure you get an edition worthy of the text!
12 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 25 March 2018
Go for it. Shows the faith of Jesus to be a liberating faith and the Bible to be a liberating book when well understood.
on 2 March 2016
Controversial - yes. Worth a read - definitely! This is a Brennan Manning masterpiece which has challenged and inspired me and provoked many a theological debate among friends. If you have any trouble receiving God's good gift of grace - read this!
on 18 July 2017
Good Condition, not as inspiring as I had been led to think. Would not recommend the book, but this copy and delivery were fine
on 27 September 2016
Reminds us wherever we are in life God's Grace is there if only we reach out to Him. Also an important message to the church that to shut anyone out is to shut out that same grace to them. I needed to hear this so badly. Recommend it to anyone searching for the real gospel or struggling with doubts and misery over their failures.
on 31 August 2015
A refreshing, thoughtful and reaffirming book on the essentials of the Christian Good News. It has been around for a while but still retains that ability to warm the heart and engage the mind. I recommend it for all, whether of Christian persuasion or not.
on 11 January 2016
Light on theolog, little reference to the Bible, but this book has heart; recommended in addition to Bible reading.
One person found this helpful