Customer reviews

on 31 July 2017
Bought for my 8yr old daughter. She said it's ok, but not the most exciting or interesting graphic novel she's read. "Kind of in the middle".
on 12 November 2014
Such fun! I absolutely loved Zita! What a fantastical, exciting world in which she finds herself. A quick read for me that had me turning the pages with complete joy from start to finish. I can't believe I waited this long to read the book. Kids will absolutely love this fun sci-fi romp and I can't wait to read her next adventure.
on 9 January 2014
Yes I'm a sci-fi fan. Got a 7-year old daughter who loves books.
Looking to introduce her to detective fiction and sci-fi.
Zita nails the latter category nicely.
on 9 June 2014
Well,beyond expectations anyway.I just couldn't imagine the sheer pleasure of reading this Graphic novel.It was brilliant !
As a middle aged man,I found everything absorbing and had to slow down my reading so as not to turn the pages too fast.
Yes,of course I re read it ! To catch all the other good stuff I missed on my eager rush through the first time around.
There is no down side..,apart from having to buy the next book to continue to enjoy Zita and her adventures.
Well,that's not really a down side,more a welcome addition to my book collection.I certainly don't mind.
I have to admit,I bought second hand.Well..,you never know,do you ? Good reviews don't always mean good books.
However,on this occasion,the rave reviews were adequately justified.A brilliant book.I can't see anybody not liking it.
There are some great life observations and wonderful humour.An excellent story brilliantly told with nice illustrations.
on 16 July 2017
Daughter loves it, so imaginative!
on 14 August 2012
Ben Hatke created Zita in the mid-noughties and posted a few short strips on-line, and IIRC there was also a short Zita story in an issue of Flight, but this is her first appearance in a full-length graphic novel.

When Zita's friend Joseph gets abducted through a space warp created by a device they found in a meteorite, Zita has no choice but to follow and try to save him. Finding herself in a world where aliens and robots of all shapes and sizes live side-by-side with humans, Zita must find a way to reach Joseph and rescue him before the planet they're on gets trashed by a giant asteroid.

It helps that most of the inhabitants speak English (either that or the device that created the warp gave her the ability to understand alien languages), so she quickly makes new friends and allies and sets off to find Joseph and free him from the aliens who've captured him.

Zita's first graphic novel is a breezy romp featuring some fun and engaging characters, and a lead character who's not afraid to kick some backside to get what she wants. I'd have no hesitation in recommending it to kids who like science fiction, but I'd suggest they don't let their parents borrow it or they might not get it back for hours.
on 14 July 2014
First Graphic Novel bought for my little girl (age 6) and she loves it. Recommended by A Mighty Girl. Buy this for your kids!
on 8 August 2014
Brilliant!

I bought this for my young daughter (a couple of years before she'll be ready to read it - but I didn't want to wait and find it out of print). This book is funny, thrilling and at times moving. A wonderful homily to friendship, perseverance and bravery - with great characters brought to life with the deftest of light touches (minimal heavy-handed exposition throughout). The artwork is simply brilliant and anybody from 8 to 80 should find something in this very well thought-out and executed graphic novel.

One for fans of The Phoenix comic and the 'Amulet' series of graphic novels (although less wordy/aimed at a slightly younger audience than the latter perhaps).
on 27 June 2016
My four year old loves reading this book with her Dad and spends hours poring over the pages by herself. Just ordered the rest of the series.
on 30 July 2017
Rather then leaving in the large porch (which they would have gone past)the parcel was left on the floor, in the rain. Book damaged and is meant for my daughter on holiday in 2 days time. Thanks a lot!