on 28 August 2012
This book is just brilliant. It explains in detail how to grab the reader's attention and not let it go ie how to create conflict, tension, curiosity... how to avoid predicabilty and cliche and much much more It's written in a very readable style and gives examples to illustrate all the great tips and advice.

An excellent book for any type of writer. Offers lots lots of advice and techniques not covered in many of the other how-to-write books on the market.

Well worth the money. I bought the Kindle edition for my PC as it was much cheaper but I took so many notes while reading it that I began to wish I'd bought the paper version so I could highlight all the great advice and come back to it again and again.
on 29 September 2015
Solid, niche book for writers looking for the final few percent improvement. I say 'niche' because it's only a select group who consider this degree of precision important. If course, it's not niche for an audience, they demand emotion in movies.

There's a fair bit of repetition in this book, but if you can get past that (i.e. don't get too emotional, boom boom!), it's worth it.
on 22 March 2017
After seeing Karl Inglasias speak at the London Screenwriters Festival I was keen to buy his book. As someone new to screenwriting I found the book to be a great technical guide and will continue to use it for reference in future.
on 26 June 2013
I used this book as one of the course materials for my Creative Writing for Adults Course, as a way to help get home to aspiring fiction writers the importance of creating a n emotional response in readers. If you want to write god fiction, you need to read (and implement) this.
on 7 December 2009
I've read quite a few of these screen-writing books and I'd say that, once you know the basics, this one would be a very helpful way of becoming more advanced. It's the sort of book you could keep referring back to for ideas if you had a mental block or wanted to liven something up a bit.

For the basics - Story by Robert McKee is very good.

another more advanced one that is good is The Moral Premise.
on 30 June 2013
This is without a doubt a book by a teacher who is incredibly generous. The best book I have ever read on writing.
on 25 October 2015
I've read dozens of "how-to" books on writing and this is a new angle for me. The focus on screenwriting was as appropriate to writing novels. Emotional impact is crucial for engaging a reader and this book is an invaluable guide for a newbie like me. I learned a lot.
on 21 November 2016
This is absolutely the best book on how to engage the reader of your novel or script. And all writers need to do that. I feel that by reading it, my writing has moved forward in leaps and bounds. Highly recommended.
on 5 December 2016
Best book on writing that I've come across. Lots of very useful ideas and information. Makes Stephen King's 'On Writing' look like a set of boring ramblings.
on 22 February 2014
I don't know why the printers spoil a great piece of work, the writing is so small and on cream paper and the size of the book, the contents are great because I really like the writer but its very hard book to read. Sorry Karl, please don't let them do this again.