on 29 October 2013
If you want to read a book that will help you to see everyday situations differently and more positively - then buy this book. It is a great read and it really enables you to think about what and how you speak to people and how that can impact on them. We should all be using positive interaction questions/statements every day - although it is easier not to. I love being able to make a difference to other people when I interact with them. Being able to fill someone's bucket so that they feel good leaves you with a great feeling at the end of the day. This book will be given to friends and family this Christmas as it can make such a difference instantly and we can then have fun talking about it.
on 20 January 2016
If you are a human being - then read this book. 37 years of living has taught me that morbid and negative draws attention - just read/listen to/watch the news. Counsellors often help us to 'fix ourselves' and deal with negatives... (which is important but not the whole thing, which of course a good counsellor will tell you).

But this book turns that way of thinking on its head and offers a psychology of positivity and imagines life that is defined by filling the buckets of others with positive value. The insights and stories are really helpful and even inspiring. This isn't idealistic pop psychology. It's conclusions based on research collected by Gallup Polls for over 30 years and been taught the world over to great affect.

When writing book reviews, I really try to refrain from stealing the author's thunder... therefore, I want to say that this book has really helped me review my personal friendships, relationship with my wife and young children, professional relationships and even how I interact with people on the street. It really is that comprehensive and that practical.

The book is a really quick read but powerful nonetheless, perhaps because of it. I like the big type and graphics and turning pages quickly is satisfying. The authors pull out important and immediate information in a good way and the structure of the book communicates the key messages really well. How Full Is Your Bucket is clear, concise and immediately applicable.

If you are looking for a powerful way to enhance and even heal the relationships in your life and help yourself in the process then this would be one of the books I would recommend without hesitation. I would certainly recommend it to people at work too - there are some staggering stories in here that hits the bottom line - leaders should read this book. Everyone should read this book!
on 27 August 2004
This is an extremely short book with only one simple concept. I was interested in the concept when I read the title but I didn't gain much more from reading the book. Definitely not worth the money. This book does nothing to develop the field of positive pschology.
'First Break all the rules' and 'Now, discover your strengths' are two great books that the author has associated himself with. Read these if you haven't already.
Here is still another book which offers solid material, is well-written, and often quite entertaining. I would have rated it higher were there not so many other books which offer the same benefits while providing more insights and then develop them in greater depth when suggesting (a) how to determine what is really important in one's personal life as well as in one's career, (b) how to set appropriate priorities among them, and and (c) establish and sustain a proper balance between and among those priorities. Tom Rath makes effective use of the "bucket" metaphor, explaining how to avoid "filling up" each of several areas of activity with non-essentials or simply relocating them constantly from one "bucket" to the next. Years of rigorous research by the Gallup organization has generated an abundance of evidence to suggest the importance of focusing on the development of one's strengths and apply them where they can have the greatest impact. (Marcus Buckingham has authored or co-authored several books based on portions of that research which is also the basis of the core thesis in Rath's latest book, Strengths Finder 2.0.) The metaphor also serves Rath's purposes when he urges his reader to fill up the personal relationships "bucket" only with kindnesses and generosities. Who care quarrel with The Golden Rule except as it applies to masochists? However, there really isn't much more to be said about its value. For some readers, this book will have resonance with their own circumstances and prove helpful to them as they struggle to devote more time and energy to what is important (as Stephen Covey correctly advises) and less to what is merely urgent and often a symptom rather than a cause of a given need or problem. My own preference is for a discussion of relationships which requires me to become more engaged with the material than this book does. One man's opinion.
on 23 November 2006
well written, a lighter read but with a deep message. Seriously recommend to anyone. (Even showed my child using 2 pots and rice to demonstrate how it works). I have a lot of this type of book and wouldn't recommend many but this one hit is right for me.
on 16 April 2012
This book was easy to read and even easier to implement in daily life. I'm always a bit sceptical about self-help books, and it's also American, which sends alarm bells going off in my head! However, when I started it, I got really into it! It was well-written and a quick read. Initially, the pictures seem a little patronizing, but they're actually really useful for cementing what you have learnt in each section.

Overall, it's an excellent book on implementing positive psychology with minimum effort.
on 18 March 2012
A great book! It is very persuasive in encouraging every single one of us to be kind and supportive with poignant examples and case studies.
on 18 June 2013
I'll start by saying I wouldn't pay £9 for this book, it's way too short for that price, I picked mine up for a pound in a Bangkok book store.

The concepts in the book are so simple but incredibly effective, I've been trying them out over the last couple of months and my interactions with other people have moved forwards leaps and bounds, it's also significantly increased my own happiness.
on 6 August 2014
This book is a quick read, however a good tool to help have open conversations about outlook and the effect we all have on each other.
on 27 February 2015
Have bought many copies & gifted to my nieces, nephews, friends, wonderful book