Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2017
Really enjoyed this book well done Gerri Hill
on 18 May 2014
Shannon Fletcher and her brother have established a small whole-food chain and want to expand. With her mother’s health failing it seems sensible for them to open one near their hometown. The only issue for Shannon is that she has barely been home in 20 years, avoiding the woman she loved, the woman who chose marriage and family duty over their future together.

At 10 Shannon moved in to the mansion of the wealthy Lansford family where her mother was housekeeper. Madison Lansford, 9 year old and irresistible, soon became her best friend, but always behind doors and below stairs. While their love grew with the passing of their teenage years, Madison’s family expectations were always a cloud on the horizon.

When Shannon returns home she is shocked at how close her mother and Madison have stayed. She is forced to reconnect. But can she manage to be friends with the woman who shattered her world, and has Madison ever come to terms with who she really is?

------------

Gerri Hill is mistress of the gentle romance of lost love and adult angst. She creates warm, passionate women who’s coming of age stories keep us wanting to turn the page, despite knowing there is bound to be a happy ending.

In this we have a version of the rich girl/servant girl Cinderella story with the bullying mother, the absentee father and the kind and gentle housekeeper playing surrogate mother. Ms Hill explores how a controlling mother can so dominate a child’s psyche that they do not see any option but the one presented to them. Disobedience, straying from the expected route, is literally impossible for them.

Shannon and Madison are both delightful characters. They are, as always, well-written and genuine people who we would love to meet. Despite the bad decisions and painful lost years they have remained true to their own hearts and never allowed the pain to make them bitter. Shannon’s mother Alice and Madison’s son Ashton are excellent secondary characters, bringing an additional layer of warmth to the cast.

And that’s what Ms Hill’s books are.. a warm embrace full of growth and dawning understanding. She bathes us in a soft glow where despite bullying mothers and unhappy marriages there is always a ray of light to keep the heart alive. And as always, the walls of hurt and distance will break down to let the light shine through. Love always conquers.

A delightful read. Another great addition to Gerri Hill’s oeuvre and one which will always be on the re-read shelf when we need to believe in love.
on 16 August 2013
I loved it. I have read a number of Gerri Hill's books but this had it all. I just could not put it down. Great storyline, I even got quite tearful in places. You won't regret buying this one. Ange
on 3 December 2016
This is one of my favourite books of all time, I absolutely love this story. It has everything, love, romance, heartache you name it its in here. You also feel for both the main characters and what they both have to go to. Whenever I cant find a decent book to read or I cant seem to sleep, this book with about 3 others is one I will read over and over. Cannot recommend this book enough. This and love waits are Gerri's best work in my opinion.
on 11 October 2013
Gerri Hill has the ability to draw a reader into a story like no other. You are there, with the characters routing for some, despising others, all interwoven with a story of young, but abiding love. I had to grab for a tissue a few times, but there is nothing wrong with that. To me, just the sign of an author being able to convey human emotion. Top marks, and as always, can't wait for the next!
on 4 October 2013
I've read all of Gerri Hill's books. I like some more than others, and being a softy at heart like her romances most of all. This is another lovely story and a nice reminder of how well she writes and how easy it is to become absorbed in the story. Looking forward to the next romance!
on 21 December 2013
Is there no end to this Ladies talent she has to be the best Lesbian Author I have every single book she has written and love them all as always she has produced another great book cant wait till the next one.
on 23 October 2014
Wow brilliant. I went on holiday and I needed a book to read and this was probably one of the best Gerri hill books I've read! It was such a lovely story and very relaxing. I thoroughly recommend it....!
on 15 September 2013
Romantic lesbian story with just the right amount of anguish, sex, and love! Paced beautifully; I always read a Gerri Hill book at one sitting because I just can't put it down.
on 11 November 2013
A very sweet and well wrtten book. I loved it. The characters were engaging and the plot believable. My only observation would be that Gerri Hill clearly has 'mother issues'!