on 5 September 2011
I found this book to be very useful. It was extremely helpful in explaining what to take, how to take it and when. It also cuts through the marketing lingo and explains the advantages and disadvantages of the different(American) sports drinks, gels etc out there.

The book goes into great detail (well over 200 pages) in explaining what nutrients are key for successful running and is packed with guidelines for choosing the right supplements. It also explains what to eat after running and how to optimize your body compensation. It's a very easy to read book that you will find yourself dipping into time and again. I would recommend this to any runner.
on 7 January 2016
Written by someone that runs and understands an athletes nutritional needs. I've been running since I was about 11 and have always eaten fairly healthily and so not really take a huge interest in my diet but recently I've found others that I used to beat quite easily beating me. I'm also finding it quite tiring and getting silly little injuries so am trying to learn as much as I can about both exercises to reduce my risk of injury and what and when I should be eating and drinking. I did a basic sports nutrition diploma recently which I think cost a couple of hundred pounds but didn't actually give me any more information (in fact I'd say less) since the course was more general and they only included nutrition that had been scientifically proven which is fine but in this book Matt gives you more specific nutrition tips for athletes and what he has found works some of which has not been scientifically proven.

Well worth investing in if you want to be a more serious about your running and results particularly if you are looking to complete a marathon or beat your PB.
on 27 December 2015
Very detailed, but unfortunately a very dry read. I still see it as a keeper and would recommend for the "technical" runners who need to know the details. Lack of photographs and small print makes it that much harder to accept as inspiring though. This is however Fitzgerald's "normal" as are all of his other books.
on 3 February 2012
I found the book very useful . It gives very clear and concise information about nutrition and what to eat and what to avoid. I liked the particular information on supplements.
on 10 January 2014
Fab feedback and some lovely healthy family meals as a result, nice to find stuff that's not just suitable for the individual
on 20 February 2014
Really useful. Bought as a gift and feedback was really positive. Would recommend to anyone to enhance their interest in the link between diet and energy levels.
on 18 February 2016
Fantastic, comprehensive guide not just for meals, snacks and sports drinks but the tumultuous world of supplements. Fitzgerald backs up each claim with research explaining when there isn't enough evidence and what to do about it. This book is great because Fitzgerald equips you to make more informed decisions about your nutrition throughout life whether you're training for a particular race or not. My only recommendation would be to buy this as a hard copy as it'll perhaps be easier to reference sections quickly.
on 3 June 2016
Good book overall. It does get into the scientific details, but it should to explain this complex subject. Not so easy a read, but worth it.
on 28 June 2013
The book is good but it's a lot to cram in, thought it might of been an easier read and more examples
on 15 October 2014
This is a really good book with sound advice about marathon preparation. It's a really good book.