on 15 January 2014
This book is concise enough to read in a single sitting, well organised so that you can quickly return to specific topics, and crammed with useful information so that you'll want to do that.

Topics such as endurance, speed, force and power are covered in a few short pages each but later incorporated into the generic training programme in the excellent 'periodization' section; diet, testing and heart rate are dealt with clearly and accurately. Often the key principles are covered simply in just a paragraph, followed by a short section on how to apply them; there are plenty of facts and figures to allow you to quickly use the information and benefit from it. I was easily able to put together my own, personalised training plan based on the recommendations and understanding that the book provided.

Occasionally, there are glib statements (for example, "These days, it seems as if you can't even lift a glass of orange juice in public without garnering dirty looks") and, conversely, a few points could usefully have been expanded on (I had to read the periodization section more than once) but, for the most part, it is as concise and to the point as it can be whilst still getting the message over. The book does provide some quotations and examples as evidence or reinforcement but avoids trying to show off (as some other books do); it is enough to convince you without boring you. And a measure of the clear layout is that I often re-read a section when training on the bike indoors - very good for checking you're doing it right. If you don't already own a heart rate monitor, the book may persuade you to use one although it does tell you what to do if you don't have one; I'd recommend using one to maximise the contribution the book can make to your training - you can get one for less than the cost of a good tyre for your bike...

It is true that the book doesn't contain much, or anything, that is revolutionary or that might not be found on the web. But our understanding of human physiology hasn't been revolutionised in recent years (at least, not at the level of the cyclists this is targeted at). All in all, it brings invaluable information together in a handy format at a very reasonable price.
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2010
I came back to cycling about a year ago, after a long absence, to counter middle-age spread. It started with commuting on an old bike, and has grown to a buying a road bike and going on decent weekend rides. Over the last year I've got fitter and trimmer, and am now at the stage where I want to cycle better.

I bought this book based on other peoples' reviews and find myself generally agreeing with them. Its a short book, lightweight, and easily readable within a couple of hours, probably the best word I could use is "handy". I can maybe see the point of more experienced reviewers who might think that the book is simplistic, but its very good for someone who's just beginning to take things a little more seriously, since it essentially collates a whole load of information.

I've no intention of riding anything other than recreationally but I feel that there are a lot of tips in here which will make my style more efficient, and my rides more enjoyable.
on 15 March 2004
I'm a fairly good recreational cyclist who wants to get even better. I'm never going to be a pro though, so i didn't want anything too hardcore. This book I found to be perfect. It has techniques on how to breathe, pedal like a pro and wyas of enhancing power, endurance, speed, weight training and heart zones. I don't know what else to say. this book was totally what i was looking for.
If you are already strong roadie then maybe this book would be too basic for you, but you never know, at this price it might be worth a look anyway!
0Comment| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 July 2010
A handy and quick to read book that presents the information well, it would have been nice to have some post-ride stretch guidance for the endurance, speed and power sections and maybe a little more detail in those areas too... but that doesn't detract from the book and it's great value for money and will certainly stimulate some thinking for anyone keen to improve their riding.
on 27 April 2013
I've just got into road cycling after doing mountain biking for some years. This book is full of simple, practical advice. It's well written with good humour and conversational style. Definitely recommended if you want to improve your cycling performance and experience.
on 22 October 2011
When I first got this book I thought it was alright. I had been a distance runner and wanted to understand how cycling fitness requirements differed from running. I later bought the Time Crunched Cyclist which is a 5 star training aid and has meant that this book has gone to the second hand shop.
on 14 February 2015
Perfect gift for my husband .He loved it and I loved the fact that delivery was fast and book in great condition.
on 15 January 2015
It did take a while for it to arrive. However, it will be very help towards my training and preperation for my up and coming C2C Charity ride in may.
on 23 November 2015
Great book with lots of helpful tips for the young cyclist.
on 18 December 2012
This slim volume gives some useful tips and insights quoting some top coaches. Worth reading even if you don't absorb all of the technical details.