on 17 March 2015
Would highly recommend!
on 3 July 2015
Cute but not as easy to follow as I would like
on 7 June 2017
Gift for a friend- she loved it!
on 28 February 2009
I bought this book after seeing photos of some of the dolls on facebook and I wasn't disappointed! I am fairly new to crochet, the ninja doll was only my 4th project. I have also made the devil as well, so far. I think this book is excellent. Yes, you do need to know the basic stiches and how to increas/decrease, but these are explained briefly as well. There are diagrams as well as written instructions, and a description of how to put the dolls together. You can also use the basic head and body patterns to make an infinite number of other dolls - I have so many ideas I don't know where to start! There are also instructions for making all the peripheral items such as a scythe for the grim reaper doll and various types of eyes. The book is really well written and I have found it very easy to follow.
on 3 February 2009
I received this book as a present and was sooo pleased with it (thanks Helen). However, as someone with absolutely no knowledge of crochet am struggling a bit (maybe Im just a bit of a thicky).
It is a very lovely book, and I will be making everything in it - just need to get to grips with the basics of crochet and I will be well away!
on 16 July 2017
This is a brilliantly cute little book, with lots of great ideas for adorable 'horror' themed amigurumi. I found the instructions easy to follow, and the book itself is nicely presented. It has a great, funky style.

It's smaller than I expected, only about A5, but has a decent number of designs in for the price. Most of them are based on the same initial form, so a lot of it is just tweaking or extra bits to produce the new character. I think it's pretty good value for money, and a nice addition to my pattern collection. Ideal for any crafter with an interest in alternative patterns :)
on 8 February 2015
As lots of other people have said, the instructions in this book are pretty awful! I've been crocheting for a few years and am familiar with different types of pattern (both amigurumi and other). These patterns are some of the hardest to follow that I've come across. Saying that, most of the shapes you're required to make are fairly simple, so if you're willing to spend a bit of time working through the instructions it's not too hard to figure out roughly what she wants you to do and recreate something close. Just a bit annoying and slow at times. Example: Cthulu's wings - you're instructed to make 2 different wings, which may be intended to look similar, but came out looking very different for me. Why you'd want non-matching wings I don't know, so I assume it's just unintelligible instructions. I ended up making 2 of the type I liked best and flipping one - I suppose if you looked closely you could see that they had different sides facing forward, but it was certainly better than have two that were totally different shapes!

The ideas themselves are really cute, though, so worth it for inspiration. I also really like the mixed mediums - eyes and some extra bits (death's scythe, amazon's shield) are made with polymer clay or card. That side of things will be a lot of fun for arty, crafty types.
on 18 November 2008
This book is brilliant! The patterns are very quick to make up and I've found them especially useful for using up those almost-finished bits of wool that I've got lying around from other projects.

I especially like the Knight pattern, complete with mini crochet helmet and shield, that I made as a gift (perfect for the newly single- why wait for a knight in shining armour when you can crochet one?!).

I also like the way the book is small and hardback- this makes it easy to carry in a bag for crochet on the move.

Only drawback is I want to make so many of these I may get overrun by a mini army of skeletons, zombies and spartan warriors. Also I agree with the first reviewer- don't get this as your very first crochet book, you'll need to know the basic stitches to complete the patterns.
on 1 September 2010
The designer has made the patterns unnecessarily complicated, The same effect could have been achieved with more simpler increasing and decreasing patterns. While the wee figures are great - buy another book not this one. Once you've some practice you can probably create similar characters yourself anyway. I am very experienced at crochet and struggled to understand the directions.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 March 2011
I have been crocheting for a few months (well one) to de-stress from my student lifestyle and picked it up really quickly, it all made sense and have created some quite hard amigurumi characters. I know most of the stitches and thought that even if I didn't know the stitches in the book I would be able to work them out or the book would have instructions.

It doesn't! I found the instructions really unclear and when I looked at the explanations they were really very poor and basic. If I didn't already know the basics and tried them it would be impossible.

Also although the characters are really cute it's all in the finishing (and I didn't really think that they had created a wide range, all very similar and some are so dull).

Also to get the pretty eyes similar to ones in the book is impossible in Scotland, although they suggest making them out of polymer clay (pfft!) and without them I feel that they lose their charm. The other finishing details such as the knights sword etc are horrendously complicated and if you don't get it right it looks like crap.

In all if you can decipher the instructions, have all the time in the world and the patience of a saint then this book is for you. Otherwise get a pattern off the internet and save your money to get some nice wool.