Customer reviews

on 23 November 2013
If you know someone who is inconsolable over the loss of their dog, or someone who just plain loves their dog, this is the present to buy them - even if they are the least poetic, dour Scotsman or unromantic Yorkshireman.

I'm a Philistine - I'd never heard of Mary Oliver until I read a review of this book. I rarely read poetry. However, I do have a dog, my first ever, and I'm amazed at how he has opened my eyes to nature, to happiness, and to the friendliness of other people and dogs (not to mention sheep, cows, horses, alpacas and geese). I wish I knew what he was scenting when he's out on the moors and why he insists on lying in the coldest, frostiest patch of grass when the wind is blowing me over. The poems in this book go a little way to explaining what goes on in a dog's mind, and a good way into explaining why dogs mean so much to dog lovers.
on 27 July 2017
Beautiful poems well written. and its about dogs.......nuff said.
on 6 June 2014
Sublime word pictures are woven by Ms Oliver, I would love to be one of her dogs in another life if I am given one..
on 13 January 2014
I bought this book for my wife, who described it as a delightful collection of poems, heartfelt without being sentimental. She particularly loved The Little Dog's Rhapsody in the Night. If you are a dog lover, or know someone who is, this book is a must.
on 9 November 2013
She is a poet both accessible and provocative. Wild Geese is foundational. Dog Songs can't help but make us all better people..
on 7 November 2013
The first few poems I wasn't sure about - they seemed a little simplistic. But as a whole the poems worked very well and some were decidedly moving. Lovely production and quality.
on 23 November 2014
I wasn't as moved as I was hoping to be. Nice book, good quality - but have read more moving prose on the internet/other books
on 18 January 2016
A lovely little book for dog lovers, full of amusement. I bought some for presents, and they were much enjoyed.
on 10 September 2016
My favourite book of all time!!! Mary Olivers writes as always, with a moving depth of insight and compassion - the most beautiful collection of peoms that will make you laugh, cry and hug your dog in gratitude. Truly magical, delightful and inspiring.
on 14 May 2016
Lovely poems, as ever, from Mary Oliver. Great gift for dog-loving friend.