Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 July 2010
A previous reviewer refered to 'Food rules' as a dumbed down re-write of Pollan's 'In defence of food', questioning why anyone would buy the adridged version. Well I bought it to pass the time on a train, and it made me laugh out loud all the way to Bristol. It's packed full of witty aphorisms that will transform your shopping habits overnight. Now, whenever I go shopping I have Pollan's 'food rules' ringing in my ears. If I have an impulse to buy junk food, I just recall that I should 'avoid food products that make health claims', or not 'eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food'. Even though I was already aware of many of the issues that he covers, this really does help me make better choices about my eating.
on 27 June 2010
Food Rules by Michael Pollan is a great book. It is short, and easy and quick to read. Every teenager and every adult in Britain should own it and read it. It should be part of the curriculum. Probably you know quite a lot of this food wisdom already, but this book crystallizes it all, in simple rules. Your grandmother will be saying "I told you so."

Michael and the book are both American, but the Americanisms don't get in the way of the message.

The low price of this book is a reflection of its size, not its value. You will definitely not regret buying this book. Buy two and give one to someone you love. If you are a teacher, buy every student in your class their own copy.
on 29 September 2012
Food Rules came highly recommended by a nutritionist at the Penny Brohn Cancer Centre in Bristol. It is a great little book because Michael Pollan demystifies the whole subject of what we should eat these days when the supermarkets offer a bewildering array of products and there is conflicting advice everywhere we turn on whether we should be low-fat, low-carb, low GI, low GL, high fibre etc. My shelves are full of the latest advice, collected over the years, most of which conflicts with the earlier "latest advice". This book is quite different. Based on a good understanding of nutrition science, Pollen has reduced the chaos into less than 70 witty little rules that are easy to remember and lighthearted enough to appeal to the most hardened skeptic. It takes minutes to read, can be taken anywhere, left in the loo for amusement but the messages are sound, memorable and skillfully delivered. Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. It takes a great deal of skill to arrive at such a simple message. I'm giving it to all my friends and family.
on 4 February 2010
This is the non-science version of Michael Pollan's outstanding book 'In Defence of Food', a 'lite' version if you will. You should treat it the same way Michael treats non-fat and 'lite' foods in his book, and stay away. In Defence of Food is a great book. It's very easy to read, and the science is well explained. There really was no need for a dumbed down version, a 'Food for Idiots' version. No need beyond the commercial, at least.

Do yourself a favour and buy the real book. And if you've already read that book, then don't waste your time on this one. Why buy an abridged version of a book after you've read the original?
on 7 March 2016
Love it! Clear, concise and common sense in this era of conflicting nturitional information. I found myself nodding all the way through!!
On the first page "How odd is it that everybody has a passing aquaintaince with words like ..."polyphenols", "folic acid"...It's gotten to the point where we don't see food anymore but look straight through to the nutrients". This is me! Yet I have always been telling myself surely everything in moderation. And so I was delighted when a couple of pages on he basically says we complicate matters. It comes down to "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants". And I so concur. I am lucky to do all my grocery shopping at farmer's markets, spending time talking to those who produce it and therefore processing the food myself to feed my family.
on 5 July 2010
This book is in essence a summary of "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food." It offers no new conclusions, but what does one do passionate enough about a subject? One tries to drive the message home, time and again, hoping to reach each and everyone of us; the scientifically minded, the health conscious, those "too busy" to read through 400+ pages. Different people have different priorities, and what's right for one isn't right for everyone. I still recommend "Food Rules" to those who want a "lite" introduction into Michael Pollan.
on 5 January 2016
It all seems like common sense when you read it. Most of the advice does feel like something my grandparents would have said and it reflects how I was brought up (and we were all thin and healthy)
A recommended read.
on 27 July 2010
Excellent, concise and incredibly clear.
Written in straightforward, precise and easy to understand language.
Good sensible, credible and easy to follow advice.
on 16 October 2014
This is a concise little read which is entertaining and amusing, but with a fairly serious message. If you are expecting a lot of detailed food science you will not find it here. Much of the contents are common sense once you get the general idea, but it is a good motivator if you are wanting to improve the way you eat.
on 5 December 2010
I enjoyed this little book very much. However you have to understand what you're getting here. If serious explanation, backed up by scientific studies, is what you're looking for, then the author's other works should be your first port of call. Personally, I've done that kind of study already. What this book offers is a series of Food Rules--like axioms, or "wise sayings"--about how to live healthily. It is a very enjoyable summary of a healthy living philosophy. It also occurred to me that this book might be useful if you wish to teach this to your children.