on 26 April 2017
Great book, addictive reading. Also need to read her other book Sarah's key
on 9 January 2014
I loved this story. It kept me in suspense , revealing 'the Secret' only at the very end. But more than that, it was so well written; the descriptions were brilliant - I knew Paris in 1973, when it is partially set, very well (I lived there) and was walking walking the streets with the characters while the descriptions of the Ile de Noirmoutier inspired me to visit it, and again I found that they were vivd and realistic.
I run a reading group and we all thought it was one of the best , if not the best, book we have looked at together, so it is a book that I have given to several friends
on 22 January 2014
It takes some time to get into this book. It goes on and on and I nearly gave up on it. The story eventually is ok but what a long way to get there. Not a book I would recommend,
on 13 January 2013
This book held your interest from the very beginning.
Felt very sympathetic towards the teller of the story and wanted things to end well for him.
on 19 September 2013
My wife suggested that I read this book as she had just finished it. Wonderful story and so expertly put over, a story that really touches the heart and I am sure is not to far from the truth. A really gripping read one that you do not want to end but equally so an excellent finish from a very good author.
on 25 May 2013
Not as good as Sarah's key and got much better towards the second half. I look forward to the house I loved and any others to come.
on 22 January 2014
Did not finish this book, found it boring, not enough excitement to keep me interested. Certainly not a 'can't put me downer'
on 28 February 2014
Expressive writting, story line evolves gently but keeping up suspense. Emotional tension is releivieved by interesting twists in the story'sdevelopment. A rich and pleasurable rad.
on 20 December 2014
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 19 March 2014
Amanda Prowse seems to have exploded into the writing scene in the last year or so, releasing several novels and short stories. All seem to have been well received and I’d purchased a couple when prices dropped to bargain prices and stored them away waiting for the right time to delve in.

The subject matter of What Have I Done was enticing, the story of Kathryn a headmasters wife who suffers daily abuse at the hands of her headmaster husband and also the pain of the seeming indifference of her children toward her. This environment spawns dreadful consequences for them all.

Flitting through periods before, during and after Kathryn’s abusive marriage Prowse writes an insightful tale which I found to be very moving to read. Not written with huge detail into the abuse it instead floats above it letting us glimpse Kathryn’s pain as she lives it. I found this really moving and at times upsetting even though Prowse did not feel the need to graphically outline the events taking place.

Reading about Kathryn’s abuse was difficult but it was her children’s relationship with their mother which I found more difficult to read about. Their indifference to her feelings was heartbreaking and you could feel her aching from the pages and although some reviewers have said their characters made them dislike this book I fully understood their pain and the way they reacted to their mother especially when it was outlined in the present day meetings between mother and son.

The only reason I have given the book 3 stats and not 4 is because of the ending, I couldn’t quite fathom how we got from the meeting between Kate & Dom and the way it ended. It was such a dramatic and unexplained turn around. I could have done with just one more chapter to fully explore a resolution and bring a more rounded end than the suddenness. The only other niggle I had was her travels to St Lucia seemed to have a very significant impact upon Kate yet she never seemed to come back to this again as an author. I felt this could have been further explored.

It’s a good read and I’m certainly looking forward to reading more by Amanda Prowse now. I’m glad I didn’t allow some of the very poor reviews of this book to influence me.
|11 Comment|Report abuse