on 19 July 2013
On first using GIMP, with no manual or other guide to help, I was at a complete loss, although I have used Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photoshop Elements for many years. Other reviews of The Book of GIMP were largely positive, so, although it's not cheap, I went for it. So glad I did - it's got everything I was looking for, containing an introductory tutorial section which walks you through all the basics, followed by a very good reference section.

A definite must-have for anyone wanting to get to grips with GIMP.
on 21 May 2013
I found this book very clearly written with excellent examples of what can be achieved using GIMP. I only give 4 stars as I would have liked an opportunity to work through some of the photo manipulation examples presented but there is no companion CD or (as far as I can tell) no website to download the images to work with. (My own pictures do not always behave they way the book suggests they should). I still think it was money well spent and recommend the book to anyone using or planning to use GIMP.
Update. I have increased the rating to 5 star as I have discovered a source for the images for the worked example. http://the-book-of-gimp.blogspot.co.nz/ This is a useful companion for the book for others who are just starting out with GIMP.
on 25 December 2013
This is a great book for any one who wants to move from Photoshop to Gimp. The fact that you can download the exercise files so that you too can play along is a great bonus. This is not a beginners book but it has convicned me that GIMP can do 90% of what Photoshop can (In my humble opinion). There is a great section filters and what how each one works. One of the best books I have bought.
on 4 February 2015
The only reason I can think why anyone other than a professional designer would pay for Photoshop is that they don't know about GIMP. And anyway, this book explains how to do a full range of cutting-edge image creation in GIMP. The book is perhaps not for the beginner, but I've found it invaluable, and now use GIMP almost daily. Goodbye 12-year-old version of Photoshop!
on 27 August 2013
There are many books for GIMP. I randomly choose this book based on the community feedback and I have not regret it. I could have learned the basic features and usage of software form this book. It has sevred my perpose very well.
on 26 August 2014
Had this on kindle, no colour this made it useless for me.
on 12 November 2013
Excellent Manual makes open source graphics as good as the propietory leader. It has been uswd to improve variou websites
on 14 October 2014
Well worth the money,. Very clear instructive writing and learnt a lot more than reading through the Gimp manual online.
on 3 May 2013
Flexible book to refer to when needed and increased my confidence to work with GIMP both on PC and Mac
on 23 July 2014
Pretty comprehensive learning aid and Gimp manual.