Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 24 October 2013
I've now read both of Lord Sacks' books 'Covenant and Conversation'. They're both very easy to read.

No essay goes on for very long, and each one contains a theological nugget that stimulates my thought. Whether it's the relationship between the Golden Calf and the 2008 economic collapse, the significance of garments in the narrative, the various explanations for the parting of the Reed Sea, the meaning of the Tabernacle, or the reason why Moses kept accounts, Sacks explains the rich interpretations the rabbis have given, motivating me to go back to the original text.

This book reminds me why the Bible remains such an important document in our culture. And Sacks writes with panache.
on 1 June 2017
Every chapter left me feeling "I could accept this and consider any need for personal restraint would involve a minor adjustment on my part and would be infinitely worth while because of the lasting all-round benefit both to me and to the community in which I would like to live." To the question "Why" the "Answer" is obviously, "because this would work,and Time has shown, around the world and in my long life, that nothing else does." This book is about the blessing that would follow a personal and communal life lived in obedience to the Old Testament Law given by the God of Israel and backed by the New Testament in the teaching of Jesus, who said that to love the lord God first and foremost and to love one's neighbour as oneself is the "first and second law" we should live by.
on 28 March 2016
I am surprised that AMAZON USA does not carry this quality of the books in this series and I am thankful for AMAZON UK.
This is an exceptional series that is difficult to surpass!
This book causes one to ponder the Jewish Nation some 3,000 years ago and many of the same ethical, moral and other similarities today that has the same relevance, today!
The same question is can we learn from history and Rabbi Sacks' insights!
If one wants a book that raises many questions with the answers to be determined by the reader.
on 21 May 2014
A good study book offering insight into the book of Exodus and its effect on the Jewish people then and nlow. Very informative and readable.
on 3 September 2015
Insightful and interesting - and I'm not Jewish. Looking forward to reading the whole series
on 20 December 2016
Excellent. Needs to be read alongside GENESIS and LEVITICUS in the same series.
on 18 September 2016