on 1 October 2017
I purchased this book based on the reviews. My first impression on opening the book was slight disappointment. The book consists of a page of simple drawings on a single topic e.g. trees, with a blank page opposite for 20 of your own efforts. An adult colouring book? No.

After my initial response I sat down and began to doodle and draw the suggested 20 items. Once started I found it hard to stop and as the pages turned I found that my drawing confidence was increasing. Some topics were harder and or more appealing than others - 20 snails is a big ask. Lol.

This is a book designed to nudge you gently to draw or doodle. Most of us struggle to get started stating that we either can't draw or don't know what to draw. This book is a lovely place to start. Use pencil and an eraser to start. Then use ink pens and colour.

Finally, I realised that part of my issue with drawing in this book was the childhood mantra of respecting printed books and under no circumstances adding my own creative daubs. If this is you, it's okay to draw on these pages.....really!
on 9 March 2017
I bought this book for my wife, and both of us really enjoy using it; but it has also been fantastic for our three young children (aged 3, 6 and 8) who have all used it as source material for practising their drawing and getting inspiration. Despite the headline title, it's worth reading the small print and seeing that it's not just trees (trees are the first "chapter"), but about 45 different nature subjects - mushrooms, birds, flowers, ferns, pinecones, leaves, etc. So it's helpful for finding examples of nature subjects that you might not naturally think of noticing, or using as ideas for details to add to pictures, as well as a good source of approaches to take to draw them.
on 23 August 2017
I love this range of books, Great way to draw with your child.
on 15 September 2013
I bought this book to give me some ideas for simple contemporary shapes that might be helpful for printing. It is reasonably ok for that purpose although I think some of the topics were unimaginatve e.g. all the flowers were all round! I felt the author hadn't put a lot of thought into the images. I would have preferred more images rather than paying for blank pages - if I did decide to sell it on later then I wouldn't want to draw in it anyway.
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 25 November 2013
This is part of their 20 Ways to Draw series of books which now includes Tulip,Dress,Butterfly,Cat and Doodle. They have various authors/artists for the books, and for this one it's Eloise Renouf.

The book's a 96-page paperback that you can open flat on the table for drawing.

There are no instructions so you basically draw what you see. The theme is actually nature. So besides drawing trees, you also get examples of birds, snails, flowers, berries, insects and even fish, and more. Each subject has 20 illustrated examples. The opposite page is usually blank for you to draw on.

The drawings are fun to look at and easy to draw along with. There are nice designs and varying styles.

It's a simple fun book for those looking to draw something.
on 5 September 2014
I haven't done much drawing since I had my children but this has got me interested again. Each subject has two pages dedicated to it with various ways of drawing each item. The drawings are not 'realistic' in style, but more like the kind you find on textiles, wrapping paper and other graphic designs. I found some of them similar to each other so there aren't always exactly 20 different ways to draw something, but I gave this 5 stars as it was still inspiring to me and got me doodling again.
on 31 March 2016
Great for children and adults to practice drawing skills. The boys I nanny for loved it.
on 4 November 2015
I ordered this book together with 'Draw 500 things from nature ' Indivually each book is very good. The problem is that they both contain exactly the same images arranged in a different order. Very misleading and very annoying.
on 13 September 2013
My daughter (6) loves drawing and this book, with its fab illustrations provided the perfect inspiration for her. The book has blank pages for you to copy the art alongside. Very cool
on 3 March 2016
i stupidly didnt realise this is an exercise style book, the drawings and illustrations are cool but it has more of a kiddie book feel to it than an art book.