on 19 January 2013
Lilla Roger's book is a wonderful, visually-inspiring read for all creatives wanting to follow their passion and make a living from their art or craft. It showcases the work of some of the best illustrators and artists working today and gives the reader shed loads of insider tips on how to get noticed in the world of art licensing, surface pattern design and manufacturing. I found the book hard to put down, and it has helped kick-start my New Year's creative juices following a few weeks of post-Christmas lethargy. Lilli interviews many art directors working in fabric, magazine, stationery and clothing companies, making you feel like you have gotten the inside scoop on the industry. You learn what inspires these directors, how important it is to be trend-aware, and ways of getting your work in front of key people in your particular field. After reading the book in its entirety today, I have a "to-do list" the length of my arm, a headful of ideas and several pages of wonderful websites to visit. The book is also an invitation to work with Liila which makes her stand out as accessible and visible. I recommend to all creatives everywhere!
on 26 April 2013
"I Just Like to Make Things" is written in an incredibly light and open way. It includes stories about Lilla's own family and career path plus thoughts from some of the artists she represents. She has interviewed buyers and creative directors in various areas, for example, stationery, fabric, wall art and editorial which gives a rare insight into what they need and look for when commissioning or buying art for their products.

It also covers subjects such as how to stay motivated and how to deal with envy - things which can actually be as much a block to a career as not getting your marketing right or not having an appropriate website but aren't usually acknowledged.

It's motivating in a light and energetic way that sweeps you along with Lilla's own enthusiasm and knowledge. The fact that Lilla has been a working illustrator for over thirty years and an agent for over twenty means she has a deep understanding of markets and trends, how the industry works and how artists work and think and feel.

The three things I've really taken away from the book (and perhaps I should have already appreciated more - see disclaimer below)

1 "People buy your joy" - producing artwork that gives you joy is more likely to sell.
2 The importance of bouncing back and persevering (where she gives a personal example of the hurdles to launch her jewellery range).
3. Lilla doesn't over look the need for hard work and getting on with it. Once you have the information, you still need to put in the hours.

However, if after reading this book, this is the career path you wish to follow I think you'll be desperate to get your art materials out!

Disclaimer: Lilla has represented me for Illustration work in the USA for the last seven years.
However if she wasn't already my agent, after reading this book, I'd be wishing that she was!
on 15 November 2013
I have been considering moving towards a new direction recently from magazine articles. This book is just what I needed, it opened up a lot more potential markets for selling - and has given me not just food for thought but also inspiration to take my art forward.

The book is full of gorgeous artwork as well as interviews with other artists and professionals.
on 24 May 2013
As a freelance designer I need to be motivated to keep coming up with ideas and inspiration. Initially I was a bit cynical, but once I`d flicked through it and seen the packed, colourful pages, I was inspired straight away to try out the exercises. I`ve also used Julia Cameron`s The Artist`s Way, which is structured more like a course but lacks the visual impact of this book. This will appeal to visual artists who are looking for a boost to their creativity, and I can recommend it.
on 14 February 2013
I really like this book. It is really full of advices and tips. I really advice this book to everybody.
on 12 March 2013
A beautiful book full of insights for an artist/designer to get better at what it does and achieve its goals :)
on 19 April 2013
I would definitely recommend this book to any designers working or wishing to establish themselves within the art licencing sector. It answers many of the key questions about licencing your art, what clients within specific industries are looking for whilst at the same time encourages artists to stay faithful to their unique selves.
Thanks Lilla Rogers for sharing so much valuable information gained through many years of experience!
on 19 April 2013
This book is easy to read, very informative and has activities to aid your creative process. Lots of information about licensing and industry case studies and lovely visuals. Overall a fab book for anyone wanting to set up their own creative business and wanting to take the first steps towards selling their own designs. Great Book!
on 18 October 2013
It is written for those people making a living out of their drawing skills in the USA. Not usefull for those with other art skills in Europe
on 11 February 2014
handy book for any surface designer/illustrator who is wishing to break out into several different markets within the creative field.