This book is lovely to look at and inspiring to read. It contains exercises, photographs, spaces for journaling and many words of wisdom. Before the week was out, I had already lent my copy to a friend, who loves it as well.
For many artists and would-be artists the problems with producing work lie in a lack of confidence and an inability to know where to start. Alena Hennessy provides simple exercises and suggests ideas to help overcome these issues, which I have found to be very helpful. My style is very different from Alena's but it doesn't matter - the exercises and ideas apply to everyone.
To learn more and to see if this book is really for you, check out Alena's website where you will see photos from pages of the book and find the author's blog and details about workshops: [...]
on 13 May 2014
I first saw this book in my local library. Kept renewing it and eventually bought it. I regard this as a 'dip in' book, rather than reading cover to cover. I love the simple artwork, makes you think that you can do it too! Just a nice book to have and know that you have around.
on 15 June 2013
I actually read this book cover to cover which has made me give it a 4 star rating. I can't say I really enjoyed the chapter on yoga and the herbs you can use for 'life improvement' as that wasn't the reason for my choosing this book. I had hoped for a little more help on the actual creativity.....but maybe I need the yoga and the herbs! It was definitely a different approach that could be worth considering.
on 23 November 2012
Alena Hennessy's book 'Cultivating Your Creative Life' takes you on an artistic and spiritual journey. She guides the reader into an inner search for inspiration and refers to the various ways in which we can nurture our creative soul and express ourselves in a positive and artistic way. If you are feeling in a creative rut and need help getting out or if you would just like to see the beauty around you again then you should definitely buy Alena's book.
on 4 August 2014
Alena's book is as lovely and gently beautiful as she is. I am not a friend before she gets a sigh of her self promoting, I was just lucky enough to have taken one of her art classes. If you dont have the privilege (to take a class) buy her book. In my humble opinion it is a privilege to have enjoyed reading it and having it on my book shelf.
on 29 May 2014
Inspiring motivational to help one stimulate creativity. I plan to take the book on retreat and work my way through the exercise that particularly resonate with me at the moment. One could work through, or just dip in.
on 18 January 2013
It is well written and the illustrations were decorative but simple. There was good direction leading one on to explore mind and expression. The feeling was one of peace and gentle persuasion.
on 25 September 2013
The book was not what I was expecting. I had hoped it would be helpful in developing my creative side in positive and defined steps but it was very 'hippy' and unconstructive and anything at all useful could have been written on one page. I am sorry to say the book has gone straight to the charity shop! A sad waste of money.
on 28 July 2014
Lovely book to read and complete. Take it as seriously (or not) as you want to.
on 4 March 2015
A simple, calm, and accessible set of prompts and exercises with lovely simple images that is a pleasure to read and react to.