This is a book that looks behind the scenes at how products are designed - specifically the thought process. Over 100 products are featured, and they all look really sleek. Commentary comes in the form of an analysis of the product itself, followed by thoughts from a class of prominent designers and thinkers. It can get very detailed, down to the aesthetic choices like putting ornamental rivets. It's also a wonderful showcase of relatively unknown products.

Of course, a nicely designed product might not translate to commercial success. All the examples featured are also ranked on attributes like aesthetic, function, usability, sustainability and the commercial success.

This is a nice classy book on product design. Highly recommended to product designers.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
on 27 July 2015
Bought this for someone else, but a quick 'flick through' though looks like it's a little light on details of the actual design process of the products included. If you just want a fairly comprehensive reference of iconic products for research examples, then this book will suffice. However if you're looking for more detail on the design and marketing process, then I believe this one won't help.
on 5 April 2014
A really great, informative book which I hope will have a sequel. A fascinating variety of products covered in a clear, intelligible way (with helpful use of designer jargon) by the authors and contributors.

My only qualm is with the publisher, whose dedication to sub-editing & cover design doesn't do justice to the content.
on 31 July 2011
Got this for my wife to use in her design and technology teaching job but I love flicking through it myself. The sad thing is I seem to have owned half the products at some point or other! Am I a geek?
on 21 November 2012
I bought this book because i am studying product as one of my A-levels and i found it very useful inspiring my designs. The book presents a product on one page and an in detail description of the design of the product. Overall I think this book would be of good use people interested in product design or particular areas of engineering.
on 19 January 2012
I ordered this book to help analyse the process by which products are designed from concept through their development to a final product. In this sense the book provides little if any commentary on the design development or the way in which the object has been conceived. However it does break down some very good designs into their constituent parts analysing their function, aesthetics and environmental impact as well as other factors. However some of the chosen products are questionable such as the Bratz doll and some are relatively dated relative to today's standards. All in all a good book but could have been better.
on 16 October 2011
I teach product design and am considering buying a copy of this book for each of my students. It's great!
on 9 March 2012
Really like the style of this book and it makes an interesting reference book for 14 year old son doing standard grades
on 7 February 2014
Good book to help my design classes with the analysis of the products. Gives good meaning to all that I am teaching
on 29 June 2014
Great format and information v useful for A level terminology