Customer reviews

on 23 March 2013
I bought this book based on the excellent reviews. We aren't professional packaging designers but do purchase a lot of packaging and also do the majority of our own graphic design.

I though this book was OK but didn't really go into the detail I would have liked. The photography is exceptional and there are some good photographs of packaging. The book is very much written from the point of view of a brand design agency and has lots of buzz words such as 'brand truths' and 'brand equities', but never really seems to boil down to much in the way of real advice. There were occasional gems such as the pyramid showing the three main items that should be prominent on packaging, but no real discussion of colour pallets, feel of materials, practical considerations such as stacking, difference in selling to supermarkets, to luxury stores...

There were also a lot of 'nonsense' diagrams which without any explanation were again just full of buzzwords.
As a former printing press geek the diagram of an offset litho press had a typo omitting ink from the process, fairly important I think! There are also some oddities, on the packaging timeline for example "Wholefoods opens it's a first store", I don't really see why that is a significant event to packaging design? Maybe it is in the US?

I was looking for a book that would help a small business doing their own design on a shoestring. This didn't fulfil that need. It is beautifully presented book and could give an overview of packaging and some nicely photographed examples.