on 1 September 2010
If you're just starting out on a serious journey into coffee appreciation, this is the book for you. A beautifully produced book that gives relevant and accurate detail about the different methods of preparing coffee, and even looks at the home roasting process. This is NOT one of the books that pads out scant information about coffee making with loads of cake recipes including coffee as an ingredient. A coffee enthusiast may find little new, but even so it's a book well worth having, giving clear and concise information on coffee itself.

For a newcomer to coffee - make this the first book that you buy. For a experienced coffee maker - a delightful book, that will help you explain your passion to others.
on 26 June 2011
As I've gotten older (40 as I write this review sat sipping a flat white!) I have found that my personal taste in drink has switched away from alcohol and more to the subtleties of the brown beans. I recently realised my taste for coffee had become rather a passion and decided I wanted know more about coffee - how its roasted, ground, brewed, and where it comes from. This book has been an excellent and clear guide to the world of coffee in all its glory. I learned a considerable amount about the complex art and science of roasting, grinding and brewing coffee, and this has now inevitably led me on to wanting to produce better tasting coffee in my own home. For those who care, its a sturdily produced book too, and aesthetically pleasing. If, like me, you are on the cusp of starting your journey as a coffee afficionado, I am sure you will find this book an excellent introduction, and very reasonably priced too. Enjoy.
on 27 December 2013
I wanted a book that would give plenty of detailed information about various types of coffee beans, brewing processes, production etc. Basically from cherry to cup and everything in between. I chose the book based on previous reviews. However, this book gives the most basic and vague information. It hasn't even been checked for typographical errors, which are numerous throughout. The punctuation is terrible, making it difficult at times to glean what the author is trying to say. Discussions on flavour profiles are very vague; for example: India monsoon malabar beans are described as having a strong flavour, but of what this flavour is is not described. This book is an interesting romp through the world of coffee but if you're interested in detail you certainly won't find it here. I really wouldn't bother with this. Disappointing at best.
on 15 January 2012
I bought this for my husband as he, unlike me, is into his coffee, and I mean REALLY into his coffee! He cannot put this book down and is very impressed that I found such a fantastic book about something that interests him. There is a great depth to this book and it tells you from beginning to end, how to get the perfect cup of coffee. My only problem is that we are now having to purchase coffee grinders/makers/roasters etc... to continue his ever growing obsession, I mean hobby! I must admit that even as a preferred tea drinker, I have cast my eye over a few chapters and found it so interesting that it is just as addictive as the drink itself! Highly recommended!
on 8 December 2012
This book is exactly what I wanted for my entry level into the world of specialized coffees.
It is written in a way which is clear and concise and rarely ventures into too great a depth which would overwhelm or bore the novice enthusiast. To break up the text blocks are relevant and good looking images scattered throughout.
The practical selection-grinding-roasting-brewing sections are actually helpful and realistically achieved in an average home.
A good book for a good price.
on 25 August 2012
I bought this book to learn more about the different species of coffee and I must say that I am not disappointed. Sinnott really covers all aspects of coffee brewing in this book. He starts out with an explanation of how the most common bean species differ from one another and how each region has its "signature" taste before he moves on to a detailed explanation of both roasting, grinding and brewing. What I find really great is that Sinnott does not write "This is right; that is wrong", but instead list the pros and cons of each roasting/grinding/brewing method.

Overall a very good book if you like coffee and want to broaden your horizon - be warned, however, you will suddenly want to experiment with creating your own blends and crave tasting that pure Kenya AA, or Yemen, or perhaps a good Sulawesi, or ... or ... or ...
on 22 April 2013
A very informative book detailing the background to all types of coffees, where and how they are grown and what types of roasting and brewing makes the best use of them. It also covers all the machinery (roasting grinding and filtering) to help the reader make the best choices of their preferred blend.
Whist very informative it is from America and focuses on products available there. It also, perhaps goes too deeply into the home roasting process for many "normal" coffee drinkers.
All in all though a very interesting book and recommended.
on 29 November 2012
I bought this book with a view to gaining an understanding of all the coffee basics, from what coffee is out there, the variants, flavours and form to how to brew the best coffee. This book has it all and a lot more. Well documented with descriptive pictures to match. Well worth the purchase, 5 starts.
on 14 January 2014
I bought this to go with some coffee making equipment which I purchased for christmas for my hubby (not easy to buy for!)

The book is very good full of pics and information. Only downside is my other half thinks he's some sort of coffee guru now.
on 14 June 2011
I have been banned from letting my father near this book. My mother hates the smell of coffee, and it may as well have been written with the expressed purpose of launching him into one of his overenthusiastic "new hobby" moods.

This book is laid out in a simple, logical manner, which takes you through from the varieties and regional variation in unroasted beans to the final finished drinks. There is a small section containing well known recipes near the back, but if that's what you want, I would recommend looking elsewhere. Instead this is like a textbook for the beginner, although perhaps more informal and better illustrated than that description would imply. It offers a surprising amount of information without being boring or overwhelming. It has also made me interested in becoming involved stages of production I hadn't considered before (I was concerned mostly with selecting roasted beans, and vaguely aware that I should perhaps grind them more finely for espresso than for brewed coffee).