on 10 July 2011
for a first timer in the ice cream - Gelato making, I would highly recommend to start with this book. It is very informative and the photo illustration are of high quality. I felt safe in jumping right in since the description was / is well written.
on 17 August 2012
I would not recommend you to buy this book, the recipes in it are not Italian gelato, it is gelato ice cream made for the US with cream. Gelato making only uses whole milk, therefore this book is useless all the recipes are with milk and cream, that is not gelato it is ice cream. Misleading. Do not waste your money and buy an Italian book.
on 4 January 2010
Although this book is American written and some of the flavours are quite eclectic, it is one of the few books about Gelato that actually tells you the real trade secrets to producing the intense flavour of Gelato as against ice creams. Well worth it for this information alone
on 4 January 2011
If you are looking for some really nice ice cream recipes but better than the typical choices. Ideal, as this book has a few more varied & interesting ones to choose from. These recipes are easy to follow & non-technical.
on 30 October 2009
The best ice cream book is Lolas. However, this is the best gelato book. It has the detail to a basic chemistry level and the recipes are nicely detailed. Mr Kopfer tells you why you are doing things a certain way which helped me to trouble shoot various problems I was having in achieving my desired result. Any items he has not covered I can look up in McGee on Food. I thought there might be a bit more variety in the recipes, there seems to be a lot of chocolate based gelatos (choc with orange, choc with this and that) however if you follow a few recipes and have some creativity you can use this book as a springboard to your own creations - which was the whole point for me. The book needs a new edition to correct some cut & paste mistakes in the first print however nothing major.
I also liked the introduction, it was very interesting to read what inspired Torrence to make this journey & I am very glad he has chosen to share his learnings.
on 17 January 2012
I bought this book recently for my mum as she got an ice cream maker and have fallen in love with it. Infact I have been debating stealing it, but couldn't bring myself to that!

I am a great fan of gelato, I love the creamy, smooth taste and texture and there are some stunning recipes in this book. The pistachio one in particular is amazing (my husbands favourite but he always says its disappointing, not from this book!)

What particularly impressed me was the prefix to the recipes, there are plenty of instructions and information on what makes gelato work, what ingredients are best and why you use them i.e. tells you why its so important to balance the fat from nuts in your gelato in a non patronising way but also doesn't assume too much prior knowledge.

I just love this book, definitely getting a copy for myself!
on 11 July 2012
This book was the best thing I could have bought with my ice cream maker! Before it arrived, I had tried a receipe from the internet, and the ice cream turned out horrible, I nearly sent the ice cream maker back. Then the book came, and on the first few pages I could already read what I had done wrong. The book explains very clearly and in simple steps how to make the perfect ice cream. It isn't even very important if you like the receipes in the book, because it also teaches you how to invent your own, and make your own creations work. I tried two different flavours from the book (chocolate and pistacchio) and invited some friends over for a tasting session - everyone was absolutely thrilled. The ice cream tastes much better than I would ever have imagined to be able to make with a simple non-professional ice cream maker, it tastes like straight from an Italian ice cream parlour! The tub of Ben & Jerry's I had for comparison of ice creams was scorned in favour of the ones I had made. I absolutely love this book, it's the perfect investment for anyone who would like Italian ice cream at home!
on 9 August 2016
For a book entitled "artisan gelato" it doesn't really provide much guidance on the subject. it is clearly designed for beginners, lacking any technical explanation.
on 21 June 2016
Very informative book, well written and well worth the money. Very happy with the service and will definately use the seller again
on 14 June 2014
this is a really brill book very happy x brand new and really easy too make very happy with this