Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Eminem Shop now Shop now

on 14 March 2017
As described
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 April 2011
If you're looking for a "how-to make journal pages", then this isn't the book for you. If you are looking for a collection of beautiful artwork and inspiration, then buy this book. It's a gorgeous book with many different types of journal pages but it does not tell you HOW to make them yourself. But definitely enjoyable!
on 3 February 2010
FULL OF INSPIRATION, lots to look at, a huge variety of artwork from lots of different artists, you are bound to find some which inspire you, good photos. I would definately recommend to anyone starting an art journal. I go back to this again and again.
on 14 September 2009
The author treats the subject by letting the journal pages themselves do the talking! There's very little text but over 300+ pages display 1000 journal pages. It is great to keep as a reference guide and use as a source of inspiration and creativity when you need it. The first six pages of the book are text and talk about 'why journal' and 'prompts to get you pumped'. It is just so exciting and really gets you thinking about all sorts! The title 'prompts to get you pumped' is great and it does just that. I'm constantly looking through the pages and every time I notice something new.Art journalling is fairly new to me, so this book was a great way to see so many art journal pages in book for loads of inspirational ideas. I'm sure this book will inspire anyone to try art journaling. There's so many different ways to create pages and ways of using art journalling
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 October 2010
My daughter needed a similar book for her art course but when we had a look on amazon this looked much better. I actually thought it would look like the picture, not at all, these pictures were the inspiration for the book and just someone else's journal but my daughter loved it. She took it to college and all her friends asked the details so they could buy it. All her tutors came and looked at it. Then other teachers came from other medias and asked to borrow it for their classes saying how fantastic it was for inspiration. Without a doubt this is the best Art book my daughter has had and her tutors agree that they will be telling their future pupils to buy this one.
0Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 1 December 2011
Two or three years ago I bought "An illustrated life" by Danny Gregory, an anthology of extracts from the notebooks and journals of professional artists, illustrators and designers.An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers I was enchanted by it, and following the enthusiasm with which this later publication has been greeted, I felt sure that I would enjoy this one too.

Regrettably, this volume is a totally different kettle of fish; or should that be can of worms.

Firstly, it is very badly produced. A glance through the pages will reveal that most of the contributors prefer the portrait format for journals; so why is this book produced in a square format ? Answer, so that four portrait format pages -- presumably A4 in the original -- can be produced on one page.

Whilst my eyesight is perfectly adequate for reading normal print, this huge compression renders even normal scripts unreadable without a magnifying glass. But perhaps it doesn't matter. Most of the contributors prefer, or are only capable of, illegible scripts, and like to place them against backgrounds which make them still more illegible anyway; and those that are legible make far from pleasant reading.

After browsing this book, my overwhelming feeling was one of pity for the contributors, who appear to have the most miserable lives; a powerful magnifying glass reveals that many of them are telling themselves to cheer up, think positive, relax, forget, lose weight, or reassuring themselves that they are superior to everyone else, or offering sad and wistful expressions of unrequited love, together with rants against employers, lovers, friends and colleagues. (What can we conclude, I wonder, from the fact that the vast majority of contributors appear to be female ? As is the compiler).

Not all contributors are tarred with the same brush. For example, I make a notable exception of the assured, elegant pen sketches and legible script of Glaucia Mir, Julia Molina's smart little montages, and Paul Abadilla's great character studies. There are others but they are few and far between, occasional jewels floating on a sea of angst and scruffy, unintelligible psychobabble.

The Journal genre has grown in popularity in recent years, starting with extracts from artists' sketchbooks and gradually evolving -- I would say deteriorating -- into the form we have here. This newest form is unquestionably a large market, as all the favourable reviews illustrate; but Art is a very subjective field, and publishers -- and reviewers -- need to make clear the kind of taste being catered for. These are mostly not extracts from artists' journals, but from teenagers' illustrated diaries. It's art, Jim, but not as we know it...
on 3 December 2011
Perfect for giving you ideas and wonderful styles throughout i can't really fault it its pictures and that is what i love the best high qulaity scans of artists works! wonderful! I recommend this to anyone infact i bought a copy for a friend who loves it just as much!
on 10 March 2012
I bought this for myself, but actually ended up giving it to my sister. I did A Level art followed by a foundation diploma at an art college, and so I found I had seen other work very similar to what was in the book. I found much of it I've already done something similar to. However it is a really lovely book, very inspiring to just flick through the pages! My sister (who I gave it to) is 3 years older than me and loves to scrapbook, she adores it. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who keeps scrapbooks, sketchbooks or illustrated journals, or anything else creative. Oh and I'd particularly recommend it if you're thinking of doing any kind of art A Level.
on 25 September 2012
As someone who has recently started "art journalling" I have purchased a few books about techniques and some showcasing other artists' work, hoping for inspiration. I had high hopes for this book based on the reviews and the "look inside" (always much appreciated). Unfortunately I was terribly UNDERwhelmed by the variety and character of the work shown here. I kept turning the pages and encountering very similar work - almost as if half of the artists had attended a workshop together and employed the same techniques to their pages. Techniques like drawing wavy lines and hand-lettering variable sized text to fit in the lines; stamping 'headlines' in alphabet stamps; marking out 'calendar squares' on a page and writing short daily entries over a month; lots and lots and lots of pages covered in colour washes with inspirational words or quotes pasted on them....
And one of the last things I'd expect to ever hear myself complain about - but the majority of artists featured (at least 90%) are female. Generally injecting more female power into any perspective is a positive, however in this case I feel that it contributes to the sense of homogeneity that pervades this collection. The work here is very skewed towards people who are making their personal journals artistic, rather than artists who are keeping personal journals. For me, this was probably the key to the problem. If the title were "1000 ARTISTIC Journal Pages" it would be much more accurate. I'm not keen to say who is an artist and who isn't - we all have some creative ability and should be encouraged to express it. I would not call myself an "artist" (I could probably be defined as someone trying to make a personal journal artistic!) but my heart yearned for more variety and inspiration than I found in this book. Also it's worth mentioning that due to the number (1000) of pages displayed, they are small - on average four journal pages to one page of this book, and many artists have multiple pages represented. There is no information about the artists but there is a list of names, with web site links where available at the back. I am sure there are people who will find this book fits the bill but it's not what I needed.
Personally I found An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers to be much more inspirational, varied and exciting - and it includes short interviews with the artists who answer questions about their journals, what notebooks they use - and in some cases includes photos of their workspaces and collections of note/sketchbooks.
on 2 March 2011
i go trought this book again and again and never get tired of watching all this talented people's works.the quality of the photos and of the paper is very high and the form of a catalogue chosen by the author is just great.i love it and absolutely recommend it to everybody interested in art and imagination