on 10 March 2013
I've been an Elvis fan since the 70's, decided to get this book for my new Kindle, really impressed with the book, generally we see Elvis the star, the image and the legend, this book shows so many other facets to his life, it's wonderful to hear about what Jerry shared with Elvis. Well worth getting.
on 12 April 2016
Fabulous in depth account of a friend's life with Elvis. Really enjoyed this book, and it fits in with everything else I have read re Elvis (which is everything!). This is a true, honest account of the time Jerry Schilling spent with his friend. Definitely 'unputdownable'!
I recommend.
on 4 November 2014
Couldn't put this book down, love jerry. He was a great friend to elvis. Very interesting to read how they met
and the antics they got up to, funny but also sad in parts. Had me wanting to know what was on the next page.
Great book, must read if your an elvis fan.
on 19 January 2015
The has got to be THE BEST EVER Elvis book that I've read. It was written and told so well, that I could almost visualise what I was reading. It takes you on an amazing and exciting journey through Elvis life. I was totally hooked, and couldn't put this book down.
on 18 July 2012
This is the best elvis book I've read! It captures elvis through his friends eyes as part of the inner circle it's the truth! It was very interesting! Really enjoyed it! No bitterness or animosity just a friendship that started in the strangest of ways
on 30 July 2016
A very honest and heart felt biography. A good book that highlights Elvis the man so humble and generous who also had his faults like us all. The writer has really captured the best of who Elvis was and why his legacy still lives on.
on 2 February 2013
I have always had my doubts concerning the so called Memphis mafia and whether they were actual friends or just milking Elvis, I truly feel Jerry was a true friend to Elvis, its a fantastic book and I take my hat off to Jerry.
on 3 May 2007
I really wanted to like this book. I've read many Elvis tomes over the years and Jerry Schilling always comes across as one of the more intelligent of the Memphis Mafia. But oh dear. This is a rigid bore. Nothing new at all. It's all been said before. No new pictures, no new stories, nothing. But then, all that's going to be said about Elvis has been said in the 30 years since his death.

Jerry paints a rosy picture. Okay, he hints at Elvis's drug-taking over the years but only just. I think Jerry waited too long to tell his story and it shows. Jerry should have written more about himself; about his time with the Beach Boys and Billy Joel (which is only just hinted at in this book).

Sorry Jerry, this was definitely not worth waiting for. A bore to the core.
on 28 December 2009
Jerry, you wrote in this book that Elvis was your best friend. But you left him in February 1976,18 month before he died. In the most vulnerable period of his life. OK. We already know the picture of Elvis's last year and a half. Peter Guralnick already described his downward spiral into drugs, fear, ilnesees, paranoia....But if Elvis was your best friend you should stay with him until the end and maybe try to save him. OK, some many others would reply: how can you save Elvis from his self distructive behavior? Maybe it's right but not 100% percent. Elvis bought you a house roughly one year before you left him. You described in your book one last meeting with him in Landover, Maryland in the summer of 1976 and you wrote "Elvis gave a good show that night". Just like that? Your book is warm, funny, so I believe you was a good friend of Elvis. But something is missing, Jerry is very diplomat regarding Priscilla, the other girls, the Mafia members, the guns and the drugs. About the drugs: if you took the uppers and downers just only 48 hours after you went with Elvis on first trip to California and realize that "living better to chemistry" is dangerous so why didn't you talk to Elvis right away? i think you was afraid being fired on the spot. I like the book, i believe in sincere friendship, but, Jerry, I believe you are knowing a lot more stories about Elvis and you chosed to not offend anyone (the members of the Mafia, Priscilla, even Colonel Parker). So, it's a good book, but a carefully constructed clean image of the greatest singer of the XX'th century with all his contradictions and faults. I read a lot of books about Elvis and, again, I am very sad about the tragedy of a genius who appeared supernatural in the eyes of the others, including his inner circle, but in reality was only a human being like everybody else. Thank you nonetheless, Jerry, for the stories regarding Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, I think these are very enjoyable news to all the fans.

P.S. After 2 years i reread the book. And now I have more mixed feeling about it. Jerry admited after seeing the "Elvis in concert" 1977 TV special: "I think Elvis was pitiful and I never seen him looking so unwell" So I have to ask you one more time: What about the October 1974 shows when he fell to his knees? The July 1975 Asheville concerts when Elvis shot in the chest Dr. Nick and insulted the Sweet inspirations and Kathy on stage? The august 1975 Vegas shows when Elvis was so weak phisically? You have the responsability of not talking to Elvis much openly (not with diplomacy) about his drug problem and the deteriorating quality of his shows. At least Red, Sonny, Lamar had the guts to do that.And after Elvis separated from Linda Thompson, in November 1976, you must had speak with the Colonel and Vernon and also with Priscilla(which you are in such cordial terms) to do something. Unless you painted a landscape when after Elvis' death, you had a very good relation with the Colonel and also you had been part of Elvis presley Enterprises. So all were happy after Elvis's death might do I ask?
on 9 July 2014
Thankyou Jerry Schilling for your heartfelt memories and anecdotes..it made me hug it to my chest when I had read it. How could anyone but Elvis have been Elvis Presley.. beautiful. A must read.