on 6 December 2016
I already have the previous book and even though I didn't think I would use it very much, it has over time become my go to book. This book I only received a few days ago and have already started using it. As a fan of curries, I was very pleased to see such an extensive range in this book, whereas not so many in the previous book. The slow cooked onions is such a simple idea but just brilliant. I currently make my own stock but do struggle with freezer space so was very pleased to see the stock powder idea.
The key to any vegan cooking (especially on a budget) in my experience is to have stuff ready prepared so that you are good to go with a recipe. This book has a lot of those preparation ideas so that you really can cook easily.
Good straightforward, nourishing cooking without all the unnecessary expensive, hard to get ingredients some books lean towards.
on 2 November 2013
Undoubtedly a vegan slow cook book caters for a niche market - even more so when it is aimed at singles and couples. However this book did have me searching for mini slow cookers to buy and was a slow cooker revelation. Recipes are varied and cover all meals - from spreads and porridges for breakfast, to dips, main courses and puddings, as well as a section of spice blends. Recipes smartly written - for an evening meal ingredients are separated into morning ingredients which cook all day - and then evening ingredients which are added upon your return home and cooks for a shorter length of time. New (at least to me) slow cooker techniques abound - cooking vegetables in a parchment paper packet to keep them separate from the main dish, making risotto - no need to stand and stir it, layering dishes and cooking pasta using the absorption method. Who would think of making cookies in a slow cooker?

Most recipes are photographed, many have ideas for adaptations or to make soy, gluten or sugar free. It is an American book and the conversions of quantities are oddly precise - 122g of beans for example. (Common sense does suggest that such accuracy is not needed for the majority of the recipes.).

Stand out dishes to make are lasagne with nut ricotta, butternut squash macaroni, butterscotch rum sauce and slow cooker chocolate brownies.

Perfect for those new to slow cooking or with limited cooking facilities and suitable for all regardless of your diet.
on 26 October 2017
Was disappointed with this which I bought for my new mini slow cooker on my kindle app on my I pad. Like a previous reviewer I did not recognise half the ingredients. As It did not make clear that it was for U.S. A vegan recipes not U.K. Also it said the recipes were very easy
to prepare,a lot of them sound quite complicated to me. With many of the recipes you had to use a food blender, I wanted ones that I
could put the food to prepare straight into slow cooker. Katy Hester seemed to assume that everybody has a food blender, which is
not the case. A lot of my friends are good cooks, and I don't think any of them have or use a food blender
on 27 April 2017
I have been a vegan for many years, though relatively new to slow cooking, which I love. Interesting recipes. I generally use a larger slow cooker, though these recipes could easily be doubled in quantities. It is very American, but most of the vegan slow cookers books seem to be. I like the style and am sure it will be very useful.
Not every recipe has a picture, although many are illustrated with coloured photos, but that is not so important in these types of recipes.
Each recipe has its own page, it is clearly written, well set out, with helpful hints and extras.
on 27 November 2013
I already cook 3 or 4 times a week with a "standard" 5 litre(ish) slowcooker. It's brilliant for making big chillis and curries and then having leftovers to freeze BUT sometimes you don't want to make a huge amount. That's where this book comes in.
I bought a 1.5L slowcooker for £12 and started cooking.
Being able to make 2 servings of tomato sauce for pasta is brilliant, as is making 3 servings of pin-head oatmeal which would have burn to a crisp in the big crock.
I was intrigued by Sietan and bought some Vital wheat gluten off a well known auction site to give it a go. It turned out very well and I turned it into "crumbles" in a food processor and made spag bol! Delicious.
Very easy to follow recipes and most ingredients are reasonably accessible.
I now have both slow cookers out on the counter and in use most days.
on 7 November 2014
This is one of the best vegan cookbooks I have bought. I have a tiny slow cooker, which is really useful, and now it really is used to the full. Her way of preparing dried beans (except kidney beans) is excellent; I love the idea of a bean-based fondue dip, kept warm in the slow cooker, to replace a cheese fondue, and without mimicking cheese flavour. It is an American book, but most of the ingredients are easy to find. I love this book! Inspiring!
on 27 June 2016
A great little book! Lots of tasty recipes including recipes for stock, sauces and mixed spices for the cupboard. I have other slow cook books where half the cooking is done out with the slow cooker, but that is not the case with this book. All the recipes start from scratch using the slow cooker and lots of alternatives given too.
on 25 September 2015
My absolute favourite cookbook at the moment. The recipes are easy to follow and most of the ingredients are easy to buy in Germany. When cooking for two, most often we need a side dish or a dessert. But we are "good" eaters.

My personal favourites is the lasagna, a dish I don't want to live without anymore. :-)
on 9 December 2014
Great book which has given me a lot of ideas. I was unsure how useful a slow cooker would be - but I love it delicious healthy meals when I get home. It is an American book but I have not found it to be a problem, google is great for "translations". Pictures throughout this book gives a great introduction for vegans with a small slow cooker.
on 2 January 2018
Very good book, all explained and great pictures with easy to follow tasty recipes