on 14 August 2009
I bought this book because I love, or rather loved, ice-cream before I realised I was lactose intolerant. And after many years of only having swedice glace (lovely but plain), boooja booja (tasty but expensive) or sorbet (not ice cream!!) this book is a welcome relief.

It has a huge range of recipes that will cater for most tastes. Chapter includes classic, fruity, asian, caribbean, healthy and novelty flavours.

My parter who is not lactose intolerant agrees that the recipes I've made (no less than 6 in the 2 weeks I've owned it) do have a texture and taste similar to non vegan ice cream (where there is non vegan equivalent).

My favourite so far is honeydew (as in honeydew melon).

Just 2 points to mention here:

All recipes rely on the use of an ice cream maker, unless you are skilled enough to make ice cream without the ice crystals.

For those of you who would like a non vegan version of strawberry ice cream there is NO strawberry recipe in here. There is fig, banana (yummy), orange (yummy), pumpkin (next on the list to try), star fruit but no strawberry :(

But the many other recipes more than make for this. Buy it whether your vegan or not.
on 30 December 2009
Recipes look wonderful, but what on earth is "divided soy milk"? I've searched and searched and can't find it anywhere.

Added later - aha! it means the total amount of soy milk, divided up so that you use one bit first, the rest later. Duh.
on 2 May 2014
As with most of the reviews here its so nice to make you're own vegan ice cream in a variety of flavours. The basic recipe is the same each time so you choose which flavour you fancy making on the day! The ingredients are UK friendly and I have made the mint choc chip, almond, rose water, chocolate and blueberry ice creams so far. They are better than Swedish Glace (variety of flavours and their blueberry is so chemical tasting!) or Booja Booja (texture).

Instead of soy creamer which is needed in the recipes I use 2 cartons of Blue Dragon Coconut Cream - much thicker than soya cream so gives you a really thick ice cream consistency without ice crystals forming and the coconut flavour doesn't overpower. You can get these cartons in the Chinese food section of all supermarkets next to the other Blue Dragon products and a real find for this and for vegan afternoon tea (it's amazing on scones with jam). I also leave the mixture to chill in the fridge overnight rather than 2-3 hour suggested, which also makes it thicker.

The book is well written, easy to follow and I would recommend it.
on 20 June 2011
I have allergies to dairy and eggs which is what is used in traditional ice cream so I found this book on Amazon ,it's fantastic I never knew You could make so many delicious ice creams I have made a few at the moment and can't wait to make the rest
if Your fed up with the same old ice creams and would love something different get this book and try some of the ice creams in it I'm sure You will never be fed up of ice cream again and what's more important You know exactly what is going inside You because every thing You put into Your ice cream is down to You and You alone .it tastes great and only few calories so it's very healthy and good for Your weight
on 5 November 2013
Icecream and cheese were the two things that really made me reconsider a vegan lifestyle change. This book has such delicious recipes. I've just made a yummy chocolate brownie with vanilla icecream and some chocolate sauce and it is so good. My husband had to ask twice if it was vegan. Alpro soya single cream is available everywhere in the UK, Tesco, Waitrose, Asda, Sainsburys...etc. It usually runs about £0.74 and you need 2 for most recipes. I'm not a huge fan of soy milk in general, but soya single cream is completely different. There isn't an after taste like you get with plan unsweetened soya milk. I use the soya creamer in lots of dishes as a substitute for single cream as it's so much healthier for you. Even when I make meat dishes. It's great in stroganoff and white pasta sauces and creamy mac n' cheese.

This book is a lifesaver. It really opened my eyes to see that you can have a decadent vegan diet that isn't costly on you waistline, pocket or conscience.
on 26 May 2013
I can't eat a lot of dairy products, so I was looking for a dairy
Free ice cream book as I had been given an ice cream maker for
My birthday. I stumbled across this and boy what a find.
First off most of the ingredients you can get in UK like
The soya creamer which is soya cream sold in every
Supermarket in the free from isle. Secondly the ice creams taste
Far better than ordinary ice cream. Friends and work mates can't tell the different between dairy and non dairy they seem to love the non dairy more. The cider ice cream was a big hit so I am going to serve this at my forthcoming 40 birthday party. Enjoy the book.
on 26 February 2015
I'm lactose intolerant, which means I can eat dairy foods, but I suffer consequences, so I avoid doing so. I also love icecream, and love making it. I was sceptical about this book. I didn't like soy milk and I didn't really think it was possible to make ice cream that tasted as good, or better, than the dairy original. I've tried some so called delicious ice cream recipes using "alternative" ingredients before, and they weren't good at all! However, recommendations from other readers convinced me to buy this anyway. I'm so glad I did!
The recipes are very simple. The base recipe contains ingredients (soy milk, soy creamer - in this case a UK alternative, sugar, arrowroot powder and vanilla) easily obtainable even in this one-supermarket town in North Wales. For those wondering what soy creamer is, I can only say it's something you can buy in USA but not in the UK, but I followed other reviewers' advice and used soy "single" cream instead.
In my case I used Alpro Single (soy cream) and Tesco soy milk. I have had the book for a few days and have tried two recipes - mint choc chip and peanut butter. They worked brilliantly! I don't feel these recipes are a mere substitution for dairy ice cream - they stand in their own right. My dairy loving husband tried both, I didn't even tell him the first sample (mint choc chip) was not dairy, and he loved it to the point of comparing it with ice cream we used to get from Dayvilles ice cream parlour in Birmingham back in the 80s. Accolade indeed! The peanut butter is just as good or even better.
I'm going to work my way through this book. My only problem is that I don't have enough plastic freezer containers to hold all the flavours I want to make NOW.
I rarely review books, and I hardly ever gush in admiration....this is an exception. I'm dead impressed!
on 6 December 2014
I was very disappointed when I read this book. Having been reassured that not all the recipes needed soya, I ordered the book and waited for it to arrive. When it did I was saddened to see that EVERY recipe called for soya and something called 'soy creamer' If I consume even the tinniest amount of soya I am in pain for several days. I feel lied to and would recommend people not to buy this if they can't tolerate soya.
on 21 January 2015
Nice photos and simple to make recipes. Some basic fllavours and some more exotic ones. I used soya cream instead of the 'soy creamer' that is required for many of the recipes.

I have found that dairy free ice cream can be a little hard, but I have found that if I add 1/2 teapsoon of xanthan gum to the recipes that I have made from this book (whizzed in to the cold mix before putting it into my ice cream maker) it does seem to improve the texture.
on 12 August 2010
Unlike some books on non-dairy icecream, these recipes rely on soya milk and soya cream (not nuts) which makes them much healthier and gives the icecream a much creamier texture. Having said that, I do find the recipes a bit sweet (easily corrected) and they take a very long time in the icecream freezer.... The variety of flavours offered is truly inspiring and will keep any enthusiast amused for months.
Just to pick up on a few points made in earlier reviews: there IS a recipe for strawberry icecream - it is given as a variation of raspberry - and 'divided' soya milk refers to the 1 cup listed in the ingredients needing to be divided so that 1/4 is mixed with the arrowroot and 3/4 cup mixed in with the soya cream!